Question About a Return for NAD

My husband bought a t-shirt last week from a seller in NSW, via an auction. It arrived today. The auction was for size XXL and the one that arrived would be too small for a 5yo kid. I sent the seller a polite email saying there was an issue and that I would like to return it. I did point out that I would prefer to do it amicably, rather than going down the dispute route as I didn't want him to get a defect.

How long should I wait until opening a dispute if I don't hear back from him? I'm not suggesting for a minute that I should jump in now and do it, but I'm wondering what a reasonable time frame would be? I really hope I don't have to go down the dispute route as I don't want to give anyone a defect, but if I have to I will.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hi sheep, I wouldn't be too concerned about giving a defect.

Afterall it is up to the seller whether they decide to give good service or not to something that sounds like a seller error.

I would send a few messages asking for help from the seller then open a case if no response.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks Kopes. I'll give him a couple of days and if I've not heard anything, I'll send another message. If I still get nothing, then he'll have to cop a defect.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

How long should I wait until opening a dispute if I don't hear back from him? I'm not suggesting for a minute that I should jump in now and do it, but I'm wondering what a reasonable time frame would be? I really hope I don't have to go down the dispute route as I don't want to give anyone a defect, but if I have to I will.

Depends on the seller somewhat, for me, and the kind of issue there was - if they're something like a regular seller with a store, I'd assume there was a simple mix-up with the order details, but expect a response within 24 hours (on weekdays, that is - over weekends I'd expect a reply on the Monday). 

If they were a casual seller, it might be a case of putting the wrong item in the wrong package (I've done that a few times myself, sadly), and I tend to wait around 2 days for responses from less frequent eBayers, though I do send 2 message in either case, 24-48 hours apart, just in case my first messsage wasn't received, and just mention that I'm just resending on the odd-chance the previous one didn't make it. I've also sent messages directly to email addresses on occasion, when I haven't received a reply via eBay, but all told, I think around 5 or so business days is plenty of time to try and make contact and wait for a response, as there's only so far you can make allowances for the unknown, as well. (I have personally waited longer, but more because I was being a bit slack than anything else). 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I just got notification that the seller has refunded me in full. She said not to bother sending the shirt back. I feel a bit guilty about keeping it, but there was no return address on the padded bag it came in. Smart lady sent the refund as a payment as opposed to a refund, so she has avoided a defect, which I'm glad about. Can't blame her! Then again, her PayPal may have been empty. I had to refund as a payment last year when my husband had cleaned out the PayPal account.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

I just got notification that the seller has refunded me in full. She said not to bother sending the shirt back. I feel a bit guilty about keeping it, but there was no return address on the padded bag it came in. Smart lady sent the refund as a payment as opposed to a refund, so she has avoided a defect, which I'm glad about. Can't blame her! Then again, her PayPal may have been empty. I had to refund as a payment last year when my husband had cleaned out the PayPal account.

This what I do as a seller when I stuff up. Avoiding a defect but copping FVF. Often cost price of item is less than return post. The less you inconvenience a buyer, and often letting them keep a "free" gift the less the chance you will then cop poor fb or defect on item description

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

100%  if there just more of yous around the world would be a better place 

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I left the seller positive feedback and rated all the stars with a 5 except item description. I left that one blank. I sent her a message asking her if she wanted to send me a cancellation request, but I've not received one. I told her to use the buyer changed mind option so she didn't get a defect. She's done the right thing and more, so she may as well get her fees back and not get a defect in the process.

Isn't it amazing how things end up when you COMMUNICATE?!! If only all buyers communicated with a seller before jumping straight for the jugular!

If there are any buyers reading this, ALWAYS contact your seller first using the "ask about using my item or contact seller" link before jumping straight in with a dispute. 9 times out of 10 sellers will look after you. Of course if a seller jacks up and won't co-operate, open a dispute then.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

I left the seller positive feedback and rated all the stars with a 5 except item description. I left that one blank. I sent her a message asking her if she wanted to send me a cancellation request, but I've not received one. I told her to use the buyer changed mind option so she didn't get a defect. She's done the right thing and more, so she may as well get her fees back and not get a defect in the process.

Isn't it amazing how things end up when you COMMUNICATE?!! If only all buyers communicated with a seller before jumping straight for the jugular!

If there are any buyers reading this, ALWAYS contact your seller first using the "ask about using my item or contact seller" link before jumping straight in with a dispute. 9 times out of 10 sellers will look after you. Of course if a seller jacks up and won't co-operate, open a dispute then.

If you leave a star blank does that count as a low score or just doesn't count at all ?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

how do you refund as a payment ?

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply