Question & answer on listings.

Good morning all ! I have found an item that interests mye yet the seller states that "payment  is required within 2 hours of auction ending".Now my point is that at the time of the auction ending I will be 800 kms.from home (work 4 on/4 off) working in an isolated area & wiil return home 2 days after close of auction. Have sent a message to the seller asking for some leeway with no reply & on the listing it shows-

"no questions or answers have been posted about this item".This appears to be a trend (quite possibly only for me) where whenever I ask a question to clarify something no questions apear on the listing & an answer is hard to come by.I don't have this problem with o/s sellers & find they are quick to reply with question & answer posted on the listing. My two areas of concern are the extremely short payment window & the lack of a reply within 24 hrs. Any thoughts-  "Hit me with your best shot ".

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

wargul
Community Member

You are not obliged to pay within two hours.; however, to avoid problems let the buyer know when you will pay.  As for the reliability of the seller - s/he may still reply to your question.  If you have doubts check his/her feedback.  

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

also matey, I am pretty sure that sellers have to tick a special box somewhere for the answers to show up "down there". (I have NFI where it is and as such I obviously don't use it LOL) so it might not be that the seller doesn't answer questions, only that they don't display them.

As for communication - whilst it is frustrating, eBay isn't like a regular store where people are on hand to answer your questions at all times. So you really do need to give people a bit of time to answer the questions, eh? They may even be like yourself and work away from home or have other committments which mean they can't get to the computer every day, or the same time each day.

As for payment, technically you have up to 8 days to make payment. The seller may open an UID after 4 days and you then have a further 4 days to pay before any action can be taken against you,

Now this may upset the seller, and in all fairness, I don't think that you should bid if you can't meet their specified requirements or are able to enter into a different agreement with them - even if it is their fault cos they don't reply to you.

At the very least, message them if they haven't contacted you before you have to leave, tell them the situation and let them know that should your bid place you as the winner that you will make payment on ++++ (whatever date you return) Keep in mind, they may cancel your bid if they don't agree with that though.

Personally, unless you really want the item, if they don't respond in the timeframe conducive to your needs (ie before you have to leave) I'd move on and find the item elsewhere. Whilst they can't make you pay more quickly than I wrote above and once the auction does finish with you as the winning bidder, the law says they do have to honour the sale even after the 8 days eBay allows, they have said when they want to be paid, so if you can't meet that, it's probably not the right thing to do to bid anyway.

Best of luck with it all,

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks crikey! As always your answers are extremely lucid.I have already taken all that  you said into consideration & covered those points in my initial message to the seller.I'll just sit & wait for a reply .(Really quite keen on the item though!! Ha! Ha!}

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for that!!!  I'll just emloy the patience of Job & hopefully receive a reply from the seller.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Whoops !Can't spell! Employ!....

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

LOL - you made me blush!

see ====>  blushing.gif

some times it is good to be able to talk through the stuff that's bothering you, eh? Helps to clarify things and also just reinforces in your own head what you already know.

The key with your queries is that you take preventative measures and you do try to do the right thing and don't go off half cocked and trash a seller's rep iykwim.

I really do hope the seller gets back to you and makes allowances for your situation, cos you seem to be one of the good guys and it would be a shame for the seller to miss out on dealing with you.

(But sheesh, they really are a bit rough and/or ambitious expecting payment within 2 hours, eh? - fair enough on a BIN, but on an auction????)

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

If it is an overseas seller, some sites allow a dispute to be opened in 2 days, not 4.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Hi lyndal! It's a local seller! My real issue is that I like the item & want to bid on same before I leave for work but will not have i/net access until I return 40hrs. after the auction closes.Thanks for your always wise counsel/input & I'll wait for hopefully a positive reply from the seller.Again many thanks & best regards.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Hey crikey!!! Now who's making who blush??? But seriously I just try to do the right thing by all-who want's or needs problems when it should be pleasant & dare I say fun to trade on ebay?!?!

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply