Question re Ebay Money Back Guarantee

I need some advice re a return. I received a robotic vacuum from a reputable seller on 4/10. I charged it correctly. It worked just fine. Left positive feedback for seller.

Haven't had this model before so was unsure exactly how it is supposed to charge but noticed over the next two weeks it wasn't charging as it should.

As far as I am concerned it is a faulty model.

I finally contacted the seller re the fault  thru ebay messages on 25/10. They replied with a generic message to my email address.

After 3 days with no further messages, I raised a return for a faulty item. Today they have come back and told me to lodge a warranty claim with the manufacturer. Is this correct?

'On the qld gov. site the consumer guarantee states: The business that sold you a product must help you resolve the problem. If they can’t do it all themselves, they must contact the manufacturer on your behalf.

As I have l have raised a return within 30 days am I covered by Ebay's MBG

TIA

Susan

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

the listing clearly states:

• 12-MONTH MANUFACTURER WARRANTY

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@gympiegold,

When you purchase through eBay, you're covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee in addition to your statutory consumer rights as stated in current Australian consumer law.

Under ACL, you are entitled to receive goods that are fit for purpose. It's moot whether the inability to charge properly is a major or a minor issue, but since the issue was noticed by you within a short time of purchasing - within 21 days - that (in my view) constitutes SNAD (significantly not as described).

Now... if you were to look for a consumer remedy under ACL, you'd have to identify whether this is a major or a minor issue. If major, you would expect to be able to reject the item and return it for either a full refund or a replacement. If minor, you'd give the seller the opportunity to fix the charging problem, replace the product, or give you a full refund. (I'm summarising. Full details in this guide to ACL.)

I do not believe that this falls under the issue of warranty, which is more for when a problem has developed within the warranty period. If the problem was present when you received the goods, that's more appropriately dealt with under your consumer rights to receive goods that are fit for purpose. (I'm taking your word for it that the unit never charged correctly.)

HOWEVER... when you buy on eBay, eBay itself provides a remedy, as I mentioned in my first paragraph and as you're obviously aware. That is, you have the right - if you received faulty goods - to request a refund or replacement by opening a SNAD dispute. The seller has an obligation under eBay's T&Cs to provide you with either of those remedies. If they don't, then all you need to do is escalate the dispute by asking eBay to step in, and eBay will enforce the remedy. You will need to send back the item (trackable postage method, and ensure that the goods are very well packaged to prevent any damage). The return postage cost is the responsibility of the seller if the goods arrived faulty to you.

You MUST follow the return process exactly. The link is here; scroll down to Your item didn't match the listing, or it arrived faulty or damaged, and click onto the to expand the relevant information.

You bought on 29th September, and raised the return request within the required period - all fine. Under the Item Specifics, the listing states Charge Time: 3.5 hr. If the robotic vacuum cleaner is not charging fully (and has never charged fully) within that 3½ timeframe, no ifs or buts... it's not as described.

Were I you, I'd reply to the seller within the dispute process with something like this:

❝Thank you for your reply.

As this item (MyGenie ZX1000 Robotic Vacuum - Black) arrived with the fault described (of not charging correctly), it is an issue of the item being significantly not as described due to that fault. As such, I reiterate my request that you provide me with the appropriate return postage label and accept return of the faulty item. I remind you that in Australia, consumers have a legal right to obtain a refund from a business if the goods purchased are faulty, not fit for purpose or don't match the seller's description.

I am happy to wait for an additional 24 hours for you to provide me with the return label and to agree to accept the return of this faulty item. After that, regretfully I will have to ask eBay to step in.

Best regards,

[name]❞

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thankyou countessalmirena

The vacuum charges but switches itself off as soon as it reaches full. When I go to use it 3-4 days later it is not fully charged even though it is still plugged into the power. The machine then has to be unplugged and then plugged in again for 40-45 mins for the battery to reach Full. I understand this to be a major issue.

I have emailed the 'manufacturer' as directed by the seller but am not optimistic that they will reply. Their reviews are not very favourable.

Thanks for wording my response to the dispute. You have a way with words.Woman Happy

Susan

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply