Received an empty box, what should I do?

detty428a
Community Member

Hi all. I bought a $380 10k gold diamond bracelet from an international seller but instead received an empty jewelry box in the package. What I did was immediately opened a dispute at paypal after receiving the empty box (oh yes, I panicked). And after 2 days, the seller escalated the dispute into a claim. I  am now worried about the decision of paypal. I am the victim here, but it seems it's hard to prove my claim.

Anyone had the same experience? Or anyone has an idea how paypal will rule out the dispute? Any suggestion on what else I can do? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Check the package to see if the weight of it is on the postage sticker from the post office. If it is, then you can prove that the packaging and empty box are the exact weight of what was posted. ie: that there was no bracelet in it when it was posted. I'm not sure where to proceed from there, but it is the first thing to check.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

anyone has an idea how paypal will rule out the dispute? 

Ouch. If the seller can prove they posted the item paypal will rule in their favour.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Although it's too late now, the best thing to do is contact the seller first - going straight to a dispute may put them off-side, and in this particular instance, they may not fully understand the situation, depending on what kind of dispute you opened and what documentation they have. Did the seller communicate via the dispute at any point, and more importantly, what kind of dispute did you open?

Hopefully it was for Item Significantly Not As Described, because there's an option under that for receiving and empty box (this is as opposed to Item Not Received, because if the seller can provide proof that a package was sent/received, the dispute will close in their favour since the contents of the parcel isn't under dispute in a Not Received claim). 

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

I had the same thing happen.

I had to take the box to the Police and get a police report done and fax that to paypal to get my money back.

It was going to cost me $61 to get the Police report so I went home and rang paypal, they asked for the number of the station I went to and the location and  they called the Police station I went to and spoke to the officer that I talked to and as that was proof enough that I had tried to get the report the dispute was found in my favor and I got a full refund.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Are you confusing this thread with another one Dave ?

TCT
Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

No Trevor he is is not.

The offending post has been removed.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Check the package to see if the weight of it is on the postage sticker from the post office. If it is, then you can prove that the packaging and empty box are the exact weight of what was posted. ie: that there was no bracelet in it when it was posted. I'm not sure where to proceed from there, but it is the first thing to check.

What is the weight of the bracelet?

If the bracelet only weighed 10 grams or less then it would be next to impossible to say by the weight on the package that the bracelet was not in the box.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Also depends on what they had in the description. They might have worded something into the fine print stating that you are only buying the box.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is nothing "hidden" in the listing about only buying the box denaz.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply