Received different item than I purchased, how to approach?

Hello all!

So I purchased a OnePlus 7T last friday and I just got it in the mail today. I opened it up and it is not a OnePlus at all, but some type of Samsung. On the screen side, however, it looks EXACTLY the same as the Oneplus I was supposed to get, same notch and everything. I think there was just a mix-up since it looks so similar. Irritating, since I was so excited when I get the notification it arrived, but hey, mistakes happen.

That being said, I mostly use Amazon and not eBay, so I am unsure how to proceed with fixing this. What is the proper etiquette? Should I contact the seller first, or Paypal/ebay first?  I don't want to hurt the seller in any way, as like I said before I don't think this was intentional. But, in case I run into issues, I also want to protect myself. 

Thank you all for any advice 🙂

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Of course you contact the seller first giving them the opportunity to fix the problem.

They should email you a return label in order to receive the correct item.

Make sure it is not sent without tracking, you want to have proof you returned it in case a dispute needs to be opened.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

First step is to contact the seller then if they don't/won't help you out open a case with eBay's "money back guarantee".

Edit. Good morning Kopes..................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you for the replies. I will contact the seller first as suggested. I appreciate the help!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Top of the mornin to ya padi............(In an Irish accent) Smiley Happy 

Workin on any projects ?

image host
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Konnichiwa Kopes, we've got a monster storm coming down this way over the weekend, so the projects will be revolving around that. And I've got a friend coming down that I haven't seen in about 3 years, so I might spend some time revolving around her !!!!

Take care mate.  All for one............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

As others have replied, first step is to inform the seller and give them a chance to resolve the mixup. At the very least they should offer to let you return it for a full refund, and as it's their error, they should pay for return shipping.

If the seller hasn't replied after several business days, or isn't helpful in solving the issue, next step is to open an 'Item Not As Described' (or INAD) return request through eBay. Go through eBay's 'Help' menu to get instructions on doing this, or contact eBay via online chat and they can open it on your behalf.

The INAD request gives the seller four days (I believe) to respond, after which you can escalate it for eBay to adjudicate on, and they'd almost definitely close it in your favour and issue a return shipping label to use. You'd then receive a refund once the item has been received by the seller (or tracking shows it as delivered).

A PayPal request/claim should only be used as a last resort. Opening a claim through PayPal voids the option to use eBay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG), or closes an already opened eBay case.

Note that you have 30 days after purchase to open an eBay MBG case, while a PayPal purchase has a 180 day limit for making a claim.

But always give your seller the chance to resolve things in a friendly and professional manner, before releasing the dogs!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply