Returning an international item - stuck

I'm a bit stuck trying to return an item to the USA, just wondering if anyone knew the next step.

I requested a return for a damaged item and the seller accepted the return a number of days ago, but I haven't had a response or return shipping label to enable me to return the item since then.

The request details say to ask ebay to step in and help if I haven't received a return label by the 15th of July, but when I select that option it says 'You are not authorised to perform this action at this time'.

So I'm stuck with a damaged item, no refund, no way to return it and I can't get any assistance from ebay for some reason. I can't comment on the return request at all, my only option is to close it or ask ebay to help, except the ask ebay to help option won't allow me to do it.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller cannot send you a return shipping label if they are in the USA....you are using Australia Post and they cannot access it.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I can't comment on the case or get ebay to help so whether they can send a label or not, I'm stuck. On the seller's end though, I'm assuming they could send an amount for me to purchase a label? Or respond to me in some way? Or is everything stuck?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I cannot help you I'm afraid.

I have never used the ebay dispute system.   On the few occasions I have had to open a dispute I have used the paypal system.  IMO it is much quicker and easier.

If your ebay dispute fails you can still go through paypal.  Just make sure you opt into the return shipping paid by paypal to a limit of $45 before you open the dispute.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Okay. Good to know I have a backup option.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@oldholdenjack wrote:

Yep as lyndal said do it through paypal, opt in for the refund on return shipping before opening the dispute, once the dispute is opened then paypal grant the return and supply you an address to return the item to.

I don't think we use the return labelling system in Oz, never heard of it being used here before anyway.

I would recommend insuring the item when you return it, obviously use online tracking and signature on delivery, and also take photo's of the parcel shipping docket and receipt and supply them to paypal at the same time as you inform them of the tracking number.

Although even all that does never guarantee a smooth refund, you will at least have the evidence to back up any claim.

We have been required to provide it since the MBG came in.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

In case anyone was wondering, after a few messages back and forth explaining the error and that I couldn't call the number because I was in Australia, ebay escalated the case for me. But! The case is on hold another five days to give the seller more time to provide postage (although they were meant to do that by the 15th of July). I'd be wary of using the return request for intermational purchases in future, it's hard going.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Another update - this is the message I got from the seller today:

Hello! The return shipping for this dress is very expensive. When I spoke to Ebay a couple days ago they said this is considered buyers remorse & it was also not returned within our 14 day return policy. Therefore, she said that I can go ahead and deduct the return shipping amount once I receive the dress. Before I do that, I wanted to just offer 50% off refund for the amount of the dress cost and offer this if you would like to keep it and have it dry cleaned. Please let me know. Thank you

But that doesn't make any sense to me. She has previously admitted she didn't check the item for the dirty underarm marks it was sent with and offered $15 for drycleaning (which I didn't accept, because they're pretty bad and I'm not sure that they would be removed with cleaning) so how is that buyer's remorse? I also contacted her, waiting 4 days with no response before opening a request on the 5th day and still haven't received a shipping label or money to return, so I don't understand the 14 day return thing either?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Rather than asking to return the item, which does rather imply a change of mindy, you would have been better off just opening a dispute for item not as described....but too late now.

If it were me I would just wait till the dispute times out and then go down the route of a paypal dispute.....after opting into the return postage paid.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I selected that the item wasn't as described, it's still called a return request. I'm hoping ebay see sense here, but I might have to go the PayPal route.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply