Scam warning. Paypal found in favor of him.

This individual sold me a dud controller. Claims its 100% genuine ps4 sony controller. It wasn't. It also didn't work. I messaged him asking for a refund, he said he'd send a new one. I waited a few weeks for the new one to arrive. It never did. I sent an irate message at him and waited for a reply.

He then tried some bs about how he'd been on vacation and hadn't read my message. He then said he'd send a replacement once again. I waited weeks again. It was about this time I took it to ebay and they told me to file a complaint with Paypal. Well, suffice to say they were useless. Despite the fact he had clearly been mucking me around and lying to me, paypal found in favor of him.

He'd strung me along to the point that my ability to report it had run out. I am not impressed and I'm naming and shaming this seller. I'm not the only one displeased with his service. He has received numerous negative feedbacks warning people that he is a scammer. It's obvious to anyone, plain as day that this seller is selling fraudulent goods, yet he's still listed, and I'm still out $70.

Make sure you avoid REMOVED He's most certainly a scam artist, and I'm very unimpressed with the way eBay and paypal have handled this. I now have to talk to my bank and see if I can get the charge reversed, because currently I'm out $72.15, and I sill dont have a replacement controller.

Thanks for nothing, eBay.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Never let a seller string you along until it is too late for a claim.....and never believe a seller who says they will send a replacement as it almost always never happens.

With feedback like that seller has I would not have been buying from him in the first place.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

The feedback he has says he sells fake Playstation controllers.

Why did you buy from him ??????????

image host
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I know this now. But I guess im a little naive and try to give people the benefit of the doubt. This isn't the first time I've been scammed. I just think it's disgusting despite the overwhelming evidence, they still found in favor of this prick. This is fraud, plain and simple. I should be reimbursed and thanked for weeding out such a dirtbag online. Does eBay care about the community at all? He has committed a crime here. This is illegal.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

most of his feedback was positive. stupid me thought that maybe they were legit. Most likely they're bots or sockpuppet accounts. I wish I had listened. Still doesn't excuse paypal practically condoning a criminal.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

the worst thing that **bleep** me off, is I can't even leave incredibly negative feedback where everyone can see it, because he screwed me around.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I have trouble believing people can be evil. I just figured there were extenuating circumstances. Should I be punished though? This is a crime. It's illegal. Paypal are okay with this?

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Part of YOUR responsibilites when buying online are to do due diligence, and to apprise yourself of the T&Cs of the sites you use.

Obviously you let the seller string you along past eBay's dispute cutoff time. With Paypal, given you have a longer timeframe to open a dispute, I can only guess that you didn't go about it the right way.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@amaterasuthird,

If a seller sells you a "dud controller", that's one thing. That would be an issue of quality control, and there would be no difficulty  (from an Australian authorised retailer of that item) about getting a replacement.

If a seller sells you a fake PS4 Sony controller (which you don't actually state, but imply by saying "Claims it's 100% genuine [...] It wasn't"), that's another thing entirely. That tells you straightaway that you're not dealing with an authorised reseller. It tells you that you're dealing with someone who sells fakes. To what degree you would even dream of trusting in the integrity of such a seller, I leave to you to decide.

Why did you think that the replacement controller (had it ever been sent) would have been genuine?

Establishing seller's credentials

Spoiler

Was this a Chinese seller? (Go to the seller's feedback percentage, which is a clickable link, and it will take you to the profile page which will include the country where the seller is registered.) If this is a Chinese seller, it is unlikely that the seller ever had any genuine controller; it's also a very very bad idea to buy anything electronic/electrical from a Chinese eBay seller, for reasons of safety (fakes = poor safety standards/no compliance with Australian safety standards = (possibly) boom)

Did the seller have a lot of negative feedback? (On feedback profile, see Recent Feedback Ratings, click onto the clickable number of negatives in the 12 mnths column, and read.)    ... My guess is... yes.

Would your negative feedback have done anything to add germanely to the existing negative feedback? ... If the seller has considerable negs already, then no.

Did the seller's negative feedback prevent you from buying in the first place?    .... No.

Warning! Warning! - Negative feedback and the eBay buyer

Spoiler
Whether you leave negative feedback or not, you won't stop people from buying from fraudulent sellers, because some people will not check feedback, or if they do, they will take the risk, or they'll simply be so blinded by the notion of a good deal that they won't do anything to mitigate their potential loss in the event of the deal not being so good after all.

I'm a little surprised that you paid $72.15, though, for what is - according to you - a fake PS4 Sony controller, when the online Sony (AU) store itself is selling the PlayStation4 DualShock Wireless Controller for $49. (You'd also be getting the manufacturer's 1-year warranty, plus the assurance that not only is the genuine article, but it is manufacturered according to Australian standards.)

Well... let's see if there's anything that you can still do.

How long ago was this? (Did you let this seller string you along for more than 6 months? If so, then you would not have been able to open even a PayPal dispute, let alone an eBay MBG claim.)

If you were able to open a PayPal dispute (timeframe was less than 6 months from purchase), then given what you've posted, I don't know why PayPal would not have found in favour of you. Presumably you have a letter on letterhead from Sony here in Australia, stating that the controller is a fake. (Or are you simply assuming that it's a fake?) If you supplied PayPal with that evidence, I could not imagine that PayPal would have requested you to send back the item... Rather, would you not have been instructed to destroy the controller, and been reimbursed the full amount?

You say PayPal were "useless". Can you post what exactly was stated? This will help us to know if there's something more that you can do within the eBay and PayPal protection system.

If you're satisfied going through  your bank to do a chargeback, then no problem. But for your future purchasing, you might want to know what to do if anything of this sort arises again - how much time you have to open a case, what you need to say and do, etc.

How I'd have handled it

Spoiler
  1. Receive faulty item - realise it does not look genuine.
  2. Contact seller immediately, state that it's both non-working and non-genuine, and request full refund.
  3. If seller offers replacement, state that seller has 48 hours to issue my refund, after which time I will be opening a case. (I'd say it politely, but firmly.)
  4. In preparation for opening case, obtain letter from Sony. I'd obviously need to contact Sony on 1300 13 7669 (support number); I might need to send the unit to Sony, since I'm not in NSW (and the official Sony stores are). There might be a more local Sony repair/warranty place who could have the authority to write that it's not a genuine controller - ask Sony. ----- OR... inform seller of what I'm going to do, and give ultimatum - refund asap or I'll open case. It is at least a strong possibility that the seller will cave in and refund without the need to open a case and get that letter.
  5. No refund from seller within 48 hours, open case. State reason - item is not genuine. Supply letter from manufacturer. Possibly contact eBay through "Have us call you" option if I am feeling antsy/impatient.
  6. Seller has limited amount of time to respond/refund, under eBay's bot-directed returns/refunds system. (It's all streamlined and should be straightforward.)
  7. To all seller communciations within Resolution Centre (i.e., in the case itself), respond with "Item is a fake. Manufacturer's letter confirms this. As previously stated, full refund is requested." (Don't ignore any seller communication. Comply with all requests for information from eBay. Reject any partial refund. Insist on full refund without having to return item, as per eBay policy concerning fakes. Affirm happiness to destroy fake item once refund has been received.)
  8. Upon receiving full refund, give negative feedback in matter-of-fact way: "Fake item (manufacturer confirms). Fraudulent seller tried to avoid refunding." This avoids all mention of the dispute (which would have the negative feedback removed), doesn't scream in demented ALL-CAPS, and states the relevant facts within the 80-character limit.
  9. Go to any authorised retailer and buy the darned thing.

For future reference... check eBay's Money Back Guarantee; be aware of the timeframes. Also check PayPal's Buyer Protection; again, be aware of the timeframes.

I hope you're successful with the chargeback, and that your future purchases are safer.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

paypal said the time had run out (which is obviously what he was trying to do), and my bank is sending a form for me to fill out, but by the time they receive it, I'm sure their claim timeframe will have run out. afaik he is australian. His account states this. I've also reported it to the authorities. At the very least I want this **bleep** shutdown.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply