Scammed of $1600 on monopoly trade card

My (idiot!!) partner purchased a McDonald's monopoly card for $1,600 and the seller just sent a picture of the card! The clever seller had worded the auction as 'rare picture of...' however the category is 'collectables and trade cards' etc. does my partner have any hope of getting her money back? Is it worth filing a police report? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Scammed of $1600 on monopoly trade card

Seller is returning our money, yay!!!! Thank you everyone for your helpful and supportive messages, I appreciate it.
Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Is Fleet Street one of the hard to get ones? According to the app, I've scanned 2 of them. Maybe I should list one! I need Trafalga Square for the red ones. I thought that must have been the hard one to get. There's not many big prizes left now. There's 1 car from 4, 3 scooters from 5, 1 flight centre gift card from 2, the flight centre holiday is gone, 3 entertainment packages from 10, 13 TV's from 20, 7 ichoose $1,000 cards from 20, 15 ichoose $500 cards from 30, 6 movie tickets from 10, AFL grand final gone (probably a good thing!) and on it goes. Those figures are what's left, not what's been claimed.

Most of the ones I get are Chance and I win stuff I can't use. One I got a property (one of the Fleet Streets from memory), but the other things are either kid things in the city or other things in the city that I'm 4 hours from and not worth driving to save $10 on an entry fee to somewhere I have no interest in.

None of the BBQs have been claimed but I can't see which properties you need to get those. They're not showing up on the list. Might be why no-one has won any yet! It's nice to see that people are actually winning the major prizes. They got into big strife a few years ago because the hard to get properties didn't exist, so none of the major prizes were officially won. They fudged the books to make it look like someone had won, but got caught.

So pleased to hear you're getting a refund. I bet the seller feels like a complete dill. It will be interesting to see if he relists it. I'd probably report the listing while you're at it and don't forget to leave appropriate feedback.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Is Fleet Street one of the hard to get ones? According to the app, I've scanned 2 of them. Maybe I should list one! I need Trafalga Square for the red ones. I thought that must have been the hard one to get. There's not many big prizes left now. There's 1 car from 4, 3 scooters from 5, 1 flight centre gift card from 2, the flight centre holiday is gone, 3 entertainment packages from 10, 13 TV's from 20, 7 ichoose $1,000 cards from 20, 15 ichoose $500 cards from 30, 6 movie tickets from 10, AFL grand final gone (probably a good thing!) and on it goes. Those figures are what's left, not what's been claimed.

Most of the ones I get are Chance and I win stuff I can't use. One I got a property (one of the Fleet Streets from memory), but the other things are either kid things in the city or other things in the city that I'm 4 hours from and not worth driving to save $10 on an entry fee to somewhere I have no interest in.

None of the BBQs have been claimed but I can't see which properties you need to get those. They're not showing up on the list. Might be why no-one has won any yet!

The BBQ's are instant prizes:

https://maccasplay.com.au/

7766587 prizes won so far.

The rare ones: http://www.frugalfeeds.com.au/rare-pieces-rare-tickets-mcdonalds-monopoly-australia-2016/

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

seller needs kicking off ebay for pulling a stunt like that

you'd think ebay would punish anyone bringing their name into disrepute.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

+1 on being kicked off ebay as it was a very obvious premeditated scam by the seller.

The same item was listed the previous day (item # 182302113325) with slightly different wording. In the previous listing he says " leaving the country for a long while". However he cancelled this listing as 'there was a error in the listing'. Maybe the error was thinking that he would get enough to leave the country. 🙂

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Lol yes Fleet Street is very rare. List it ASAP though as the competition ends 2 Nov. Don't worry I've added his account to my watch list and will be sure to keep an eye on him. So unscrupulous but very glad he saw the sense and has refunded the money.
Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Cheers from everyone! Good News, so glad you have had success.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Basically, just a variation on the old scam with iPhone boxes - someone puts up an empty box, titles it as “iPhone 6 Black 32 GB Box and Instructions”, buyer doesn't read the description, and winds up paying $500 for a box...

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I agree david.

I think sometimes an ebay rep (or a judge or whoever) needs to look beyond the exact words used to the implied meaning and intent.

The intent was to deceive, to have buyers assuming they would get the real card.

No one would expect to pay that much for a photo of a card.

It's an attempt at fraud in my opinion.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Ebay is my life i hunt scum like this . Alway read item description never buy from photo and feedback, feedback, feedback sorry you had a bad experince dont give up lots of good people on ebay

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply