Secure parcel to USA

I’m hoping those who know more about international mail can help me.

I need to return a parcel that was sent from the USA first class international mail.

What is the equivalent from Australia? Is there any more security in “Courier” with Australia Post than “Express”, it seems to me it is only speed?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Secure parcel to USA

Express includes signature on delivery, but courier doesn't. 

As a seller, I usually just send standard (tracked), with signature on delivery if the order is of higher value than average. (Under 500g it would cost $28.70 for a standard parcel with SOD, while express is $42~odd - you can add SOD to an enconomy package, but there's no online tracking).

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Secure parcel to USA

I also normally send "standard". It seems the best compromise between cost and accountability.

Generally to the USA it's about 10 days.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Secure parcel to USA

The seller is demanding more "security" & doesn't think that the International Express is good enough. Is this the only option besides "Courier" or is there anything else more "secure" ?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Secure parcel to USA

That's rich coming from a seller who is happy to send it to you by First Class International.

I am thinking that she is hoping you will decide it is too expensive and won't send it back...so she will not have to give a refund.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Secure parcel to USA

@tetibird wrote:

The seller is demanding more "security" & doesn't think that the International Express is good enough. Is this the only option besides "Courier" or is there anything else more "secure" ?

Honestly, unless I'm missing something, that doesn't make sense, as tracking and SOD are pretty good "security" features IMHO, and don't require express postage, either.

Perhaps you can ask them to clarify what other, additional postage service or option (aside from tracking and signature on delivery) they think will provide more security (express certainly doesn't mean extra security, it just means delivery speed). 

There are only two other optional extras that Australia Post provide that could possibly be considered to add more security - extra cover to insure against loss or damage, and person-to-person, which means only the person named on the address can sign for it, rather than anyone at the address (extra cover is available on international parcel services, not 100% sure about person to person, I know they do it for domestic deliveries and it's not cheap - international equivalents are usually a lot more expensive).

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Secure parcel to USA

Are you sending it back afr being told to by ebay because you have won a not as described dispute and the seller is responsible for he return costs?  If so thhen just send the seller a link to Aus Post and tell them to choose, and pay for, which ever option they want. Don't even think about returnin until you have received enough money to cover the cost or the seller provides a return label.

If it is for change of mind would you be better off re-selling it youself to get your money back, probably more economic than paying retrn costs but if you do want to return for change of mind then you choose the postage service as you are paying for it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply