Seller CHANGED item in listing that I bought?!?!

I bought a set of harry potter makeup brushes... but now the listing has changed in my purchase history to a completely different item that links to a different item with a different cost (not what I paid)

I haven't received the item yet, so I have no idea what I'm actually going to get, but when I click to feedback, I get the image of the original harry potter brushes I bought!!!

Is this even really possible, to change a listing to something else after someone's bought it?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When you open up the listing in your purchases section you'll find there's a link up the top of the page somewhere that says something like "see item you purchased" or "see original listing". Click on that and it'll show the listing as it was before you bought it.

Yes, it is possible to change a listing after it sells, providing it doesn't end completely. In your case I suspect your seller may have altered a gtc listing so as not to lose its status in best match.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I have duplicates of some of my books. They are generally different editions, and almost always different conditions. When I sell one, I edit the listing to reflect the next one of this book I have for sale. The buyer still gets the one they purchased, but subsequent buyer/s will get the one/s available. Given a sale often generates another (best match?), I don't feel it to be wise to leave a listing as showing something I no longer have.

Mind you, it is still the same title, but the principle is the same.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

That also happened to me a while ago. I purchased an expensive replica vintage door lock mechanism, thinking I was also getting the brass knob included (as that what the listing said). And when it arrived there was no knob. I was super careful to choose a listing that definitely had a knob as many didnt. When I checked the listing, it had changed. "Seller has modified the listing" or something like that. And it was $40 more. When I tackled the seller, he made out like it was my fault and that I read the listing wrong. After numerous emails I just gave up. I was left thinking I had made a mistake, but I didn't. Was very disappointed with the heritage hardware Australian based seller. I should have gone for a refund, like millions of buyers do. But being a seller too, and a generous spirit, I didn't. Found a knob on one of my old doors later on anyway. Nevertheless, I was appalled at their blatant lying tactics. He did offer to send me the missing part, free postage, but by that point I had moved on....

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I reckon the seller who did this to me, had made a mistake with the listing and quickly changed it after I purchased. It was not a cheap item...around $90.00. All I wanted was for him to apologise and fess up....:(

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

chabusi_60
Community Member

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

As mentioned you can always view the original listing if you purchased the item and it was edited afterwards. I had this happen to me. I purchased an item with 300 quantity and only received 200. When I checked the listing it initially showed 200 so looked like the correct amount. But there was a small tab in the listing saying " view original listing" or something along those lines. Luckily in my case the seller was excellent and simply refunded me 1/3 of the purchase price to reflect 1/3 less product.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Good luck finding it after nearly a year and a half. eBay don't keep listings back that far.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply