Seller can't send to my address and trying to force payment

Hi,

So I need some advice on this.

Purchased an item, and on checkout discovered that they will not send to PO Box. (messages comes out in checkout)

Unforunately i only accept deliveries to PO Box.

There was no mention in item description that they do not send to PO Box, as I otherwise would not have purchased of course.

Asked to cancel transaction, but buy won't cancel and have opened a unpaid item case. Seller won't respond other than to ask me to pay, even offer to pay outside of ebay direct to paypal account and would send to PO Box then, Unforunately i have already purchased elsewhere from another seller who does not have this problem.

A day later i have opened a item not described case.

Any advice on what i should do in this case?

I have seen this happen quite a few times, sellers can't send to PO Box, but item description does not say so, i don't know until it is too late (i have committed to buying). Usually sellers are pretty good and we can mutually cancel.

I think it is a flaw in ebay system, if seller can't send to PO Box (shows up in checkout), then the item description should mention as well, so potentials don't try and buy it

Thanks.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

why wouldn't they send to a PO Box ?

I for one have no other way to receive mail as we don't have mail delivery in our area.The PO Box is our only postal address.

If we receive a parcel, a card is left and we pick the parcel up from the post office.

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

sorry if this is a silly question...but you do have an actual box number ,postcode etc in your address?

...It's not saying it can't post to PO Box because there is no actual number there?

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

Thanks digitalghost.

Heres a screenshot of mine:

It says PO Box in every one of the fields...

I do get that a message on the top of the page, but it is not a *warning*. It says along the lines of "seller can not post to po box, please change address". But purchase is already commited to. And I have no choice but to request a cancallation.

Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

I wonder if you do something like..?

I am making up an address btw

13 Smith St/PO Box 37,

suchandsuchaplace,

State,

Postcode,

Aust

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

I do get that a message on the top of the page, but it is not a *warning*. It says along the lines of "seller can not post to po box, please change address". But purchase is already commited to. And I have no choice but to request a cancallation.

It may be that it's different for actions vs BINs - I know for sure I've gotten that notice when I've placed a bid on an auction but have not yet confirmed it, but I just tested the BIN on the same item and the notice didn't appear on the confirm purchase page (as I do have a street address I can use for delivery, it hasn't presented much of an issue for me so I hadn't paid it too much notice).

There's not too much you can do now, I'm afraid. Personally, I'd cancel the sale but your seller is a high volume Chinese seller, so along with any language barriers I find they are protective almost to the point of desperation about their feedback - they probably thought this was the best option for them as they get their fees back and prevent any FB from being left.

You can show that you attempted communication with the seller, etc, so it should be easy enough to appeal the strike if you receive one, though, so it shouldn't hinder any future purchases.

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

izabsmiling: i would have no idea...

They did say they will send to PO Box if i paid for it direct to their paypal (bypassing ebay checkout), but i declined the offer... as they replied some time later and i purchased elsewhere, and also i don't think i get the ebay/paypal protection doing that way.

Its a silly bug, ebay should just fix this. Whatever test conditions they are applying at checkout with the PO Box check, they should just do the same test *before* someone commits.

But some people are saying they do get a warning, perhaps somone could post a screen shot of this so called "warning" as i am curious of what it looks like.

Obviously at your own leasure, as its not easy to test these things without accidentally buying something you didnt want.

Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

I selected that i paid elsewhere, as i was not able to open a case without saying that i paid, Obviously i could not pay as i can not go through with the transaction. But i don't know how else to open a case.

What do you want to open a case for anyway?  You haven't paid, so you are not entitled to a refund for item not as described.

What you needed to do was report the seller for non-performance, not open a bogus case as your credibility is now seriously damaged.

They did say they will send to PO Box if i paid for it direct to their paypal (bypassing ebay checkout), but i declined the offer.

Why did you decline the offer?

As long as you tick the box to say you are paying for goods you have full buyer protection regardless of if it is an ebay transaction or not.

No way can you win a dispute if you have not paid and no way can you appeal an unpaid item strike if you have not paid either.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Leader, all that was asked in the first post.

The OP is seriously damaging their credibility for the sake of a couple of dollars....why would they bother?

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

All this fuss for a $1.29 item from China or Hong Kong....which probably means with free shipping.

Either pay for it and risk your paypal protection in the unlikely event that there is a problem, or don't pay and get a strike.

I know what I would be doing...and it would not involve getting a strike.

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply