Seller cancelled purchase for no reason.

Hallo.

I can't seem to find anything already here that deals with my question.
     The seller is in France, and I am in Australia. I bought a reel-to-reel tape recorder from him, and paid. He then wrote me a message pointing out that the item was sold as is, not as working, and without accessories, and also that delivery time might be increased to a month due to Covid - did I agree?  (The eBay page clearly said the first of these two points anyway.)
     I replied saying this was okay, but I got the same message a second time - and a third time saying he would cancel my order if I didn't reply.  He said he'd had previous problems with Australian buyers, and seemed to be holding that against me. I replied again, repeating that I was all right with what he said.  Seems he either didn't get, or ignored, messages I sent him.
     Very soon after that, my order was cancelled and my money refunded. When I wrote to ask him why he did this, he simply didn't reply at all.
     What is my best way of dealing with this? - I am really quite annoyed with him. Is this against eBay policy? But if he offers the tape recorder for sale again, I would like to buy it, as it is quite rare. He hasn't so far, though.
     I am tempted to leave a scathing negative comment, but I presume that that will decide him against ever accepting purchases from me again.  If I do this, it will only be after I feel certain he will refuse to deal with me over this.
     I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Seller cancelled purchase for no reason.

Well, thanks for the various opinions.  A few points...

@takkie-two wrote:

From memory a reel to reel tape recorder is a big bulky item, that at this point in time the seller can most likely only send per ship, which may take months and months (and add another month or so). By that time you'd be wondering if your item is ever going to turn up and considering the relationship with the seller is already somewhat strained; he's decided to cancel the transaction and refund your money.

You may not think so right now, but the seller has probably done you a favour; just move on and hopefully a great vintage reel to reel tape recorder may turn up closer to home !

Well, it was a portable tape recorder, so not *really* big and bulky. He told me it would take longer to come, and I accepted that. The relationsbip only became strained because he sent me an e-mail reminding me the item was sold as not in working order and might be late due to COVID - did I accept? I replied saying that was okay, but he wrote to me twice more saying the same things, as if I hadn't replied; the third time he said if I didn't reply he would cancel the sale and refund my money - so I replied again, saying I accepted it. But then he cancelled anyway, and refused even to answer my questions about what the matter was.
     So the relationship was strained entirely because of the way he handled this. If he'd bothered to check my feedback record, he'd have found there were no signs whatever that I would be a trouble-maker.  Try as I might to think what I did wrong that justified his reaction, I cannot think of anything.  This is the first seller I've had problems like this with.

As for a similar item closer to home: it was not just any tape recorder, but a Sony TC-800b, which is extremely rare in Australia. I already have one but need another for parts, which is why I was buying this one advertised as not working.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

The seller is in France, he has had bad experiences selling to Australia and he was worried there could be problems with this sale too, as in lengthy delays and maybe an ebay or paypal claim etc

Your seller has decided not to sell to Australia at the moment. It's not personal. If he offers it for sale again, why on earth would you bid or try to buy? He would only have to go through the whole process of cancellation again. I would say there is also a good chance he would block you as a likely troublemaker, it certainly wouldn't make him any more likely to send you the item you want.

You can leave factual feedback but basically, my main suggestion would be to look for the item elsewhere, preferably within Australia. It may take a while but something similar will probably pop up sooner or later.

I am just wondering on what grounds you think he could brand me as a trouble-maker. I agreed with what he said about the condition and the lateness, but he acted as if I hadn't replied, then he refused to reply when I asked him politely what the problem was.
     He already had my money, so there was no question of payment being a problem.
     Having received the payment, covering shipping too, all he had to do was post it. And, after he told me the item was not in working order and might be delivered late, well of course I wouldn't make any complaints about those issues. As it is, I am seriously considering leaving a complaint about his behaviour to me (in the feedback - which is still open, so eBay apparently regards the sale as having taken place) - so he hasn't helped himself by doing this.
     You suggest I look for the item in Australia; but, as I said above, this item is extremely rare im Australia. If I find another one, it will almost certainly be in Europe or the U.S.

Anyway, thanks for your views about this.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

As for the OP, I have blocked certain overseas countries because myself and others have had issues, so if the seller is wary about posting to Australia because of issues, then that is his choice, and understandable. Even more so at the moment with long delivery delays around the world. Just because we are getting back some sort of normality, it's easy to forget the rest of the world is still in crisis.

If he had a bad experience with someone in Australia before, is it fair for him to blame all Australians for that? Especially ones whose record shows they never cause problems? If you believe it is his choice to cancel, then would you accept that it is equally my valid choice to leave a negative point and comment against him? I suppose the point of the feedback system is that, if someone doesn't do the right thing, you are warning others about it.  I have never before in my time on eBay given anyone a negative feedback comment.

Was he breaching eBay rules or policy in doing this for the reason he did it? - that reason being false anyway, because I did reply to him on the points he wanted me to, but acted as if I hadn't. What are the circumstances when a seller can legitimately cancel a sale that has already been paid for?

Apart from being annoyed about this, I am genuinely puzzled as to why he did what he did.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@michaelinvictoriaaustralia wrote:

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

As for the OP, I have blocked certain overseas countries because myself and others have had issues, so if the seller is wary about posting to Australia because of issues, then that is his choice, and understandable. Even more so at the moment with long delivery delays around the world. Just because we are getting back some sort of normality, it's easy to forget the rest of the world is still in crisis.

If he had a bad experience with someone in Australia before, is it fair for him to blame all Australians for that? Especially ones whose record shows they never cause problems? If you believe it is his choice to cancel, then would you accept that it is equally my valid choice to leave a negative point and comment against him? I suppose the point of the feedback system is that, if someone doesn't do the right thing, you are warning others about it.  I have never before in my time on eBay given anyone a negative feedback comment.

Was he breaching eBay rules or policy in doing this for the reason he did it? - that reason being false anyway, because I did reply to him on the points he wanted me to, but acted as if I hadn't. What are the circumstances when a seller can legitimately cancel a sale that has already been paid for?

Apart from being annoyed about this, I am genuinely puzzled as to why he did what he did.

As a buyer, you can only receive positive feedback with positive comments. Even the worst buyers in the world are made to look good for that reason, so saying you never cause problems (which I am sure you dont), doesn't mean anything as far as feedback goes if a seller looks at it.

No, it's not fair for him to blame all Australians if he's had a handful of issues posting here, but after a few issues, that quite often can cost you a lot of money, you get to the point where the risk isn't worth it, so you block the whole country. Italy as a country, and Italians in general, are great. However, I don't post there because frankly, their mail system sucks. They have a very high rate of losses. It's not worth the risk. It is the same for a number of other countries too.

As for your replies to him, there is a chance he may not have been receiving them. I know it's a long shot, but it happens. If you don't word a message the right way, the bots will block it from being sent. Ebay has become extremely paranoid over the last few years, and a simple word, used innocently, could wake the bots up and your message is blocked. Not saying this is what happened, just showing that it's an option.

No, the seller isn't violating any policies. It is their right to cancel a sale for whatever reason they see fit. If they use certain reasons for cancelling they will get a defect on their account. A few of those will see them no longer being able to sell.

As for his reasons, you may never know. Chances are he's looked at the delivery estimates with the Covid and knew there was a risk of a dispute being opened for non arrival. You said you were happy to wait however long it took, but talk is cheap. Lots of buyers say that, then open a dispute when the item hasn't arrived within 30 days, despite being told it could be 3 months. They know the item is on its way, they know they will eventually get it, but go the claim anyway. You know you would do the right thing. The seller doesn't know you from a bar of soap.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@michaelinvictoriaaustralia wrote:
@springyzone wrote:

The seller is in France, he has had bad experiences selling to Australia and he was worried there could be problems with this sale too, as in lengthy delays and maybe an ebay or paypal claim etc

Your seller has decided not to sell to Australia at the moment. It's not personal. If he offers it for sale again, why on earth would you bid or try to buy? He would only have to go through the whole process of cancellation again. I would say there is also a good chance he would block you as a likely troublemaker, it certainly wouldn't make him any more likely to send you the item you want.

You can leave factual feedback but basically, my main suggestion would be to look for the item elsewhere, preferably within Australia. It may take a while but something similar will probably pop up sooner or later.

I am just wondering on what grounds you think he could brand me as a trouble-maker.

I am not saying he has branded you a troublemaker at present.

But if he cancelled a sale to you on the basis he did not want to sell to Australia, then he put it back up for sale and you kept messaging him, telling him you wanted to buy it, or if you re-bid on it, then I think he could find that annoying.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

you may find you  won it ..for a min or cheap bid ..or they reliased  what its worth....it is a ploy.. sellers use to make more money..

it will be relisted ..be ready

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@dvd.horder wrote:

you may find you  won it ..for a min or cheap bid ..or they reliased  what its worth....it is a ploy.. sellers use to make more money..

it will be relisted ..be ready

Of course it will be relisted.

Hopefully the seller, if they don't want to post to Australia, excludes Australia. There is a reasonable chance the OP won't be able to bid anyway.

It could be a ploy. More likely it is that the seller has had issues posting to Australia, and doesn't know how to block particular countries. Or that pesky COVID thing.

Once again, no relevant advice.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply