Seller disappeared after PayPal payment outside eBay

I bought a PlayStation 3 for $81. Initial transaction didn't go anywhere because seller (new seller) entered wrong PayPal email address.

I did some research, in similiar situatuations, either seller re-list the item with the correct PayPal details, or I use PayPal and send money to the correct account. Seller does not know how to re-list or how to change PayPal details in his eBay account, apparently someone else in his family set it up for him.

So I cancelled the initial PayPal transaction, and asked the seller to provide a correct PayPal account so I can transfer the money.

Seller immediately gave me another email address, I used PayPal to transfer the amount. I selected "Pay for item or services" option. I also entered eBay item id in the notes.

That was the last time I ever heard from this "seller".

I sent a number of eBay messages to him, asking for item's status, if it's shipped. Asked him if he receive the money. No replies whatsoever. He was very responsive when he asked me to transfer the money to him,

It's been 2 days.

So, is it the time to file a PayPal dispute? I read that PayPal covers for such situations, as long as I don't select "Send Personal" or something, as long as it's for "Pay for item or services". Will the dispute work?

Should I file a dispute in eBay too?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You know what, this is ringing alarm bells for me.

I realise it has only been 2 days and that's not very long but what you've got here is a seller who was very responsive after the sale. He's telling you he doesn't know how to relist or change his paypal details, he's sending you his email address for payment.

But the minute you paid, silence.

Two days is long enough for him to have given you an answer of some kind. These days most people have internet access even when out and about. He knows very well how to send messages but he has chosen not to.

I'd give it 2 more days and then if you have had no reply, I'd consider the dispute.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

2 days!

I'd give it at least another few. You do, after all, have 180 days to open a dispute through Paypal.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

You know what, this is ringing alarm bells for me.

I realise it has only been 2 days and that's not very long but what you've got here is a seller who was very responsive after the sale. He's telling you he doesn't know how to relist or change his paypal details, he's sending you his email address for payment.

But the minute you paid, silence.

Two days is long enough for him to have given you an answer of some kind. These days most people have internet access even when out and about. He knows very well how to send messages but he has chosen not to.

I'd give it 2 more days and then if you have had no reply, I'd consider the dispute.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I feel 2 days is more than enough as well considering most people are on their phone constantly.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I 100% agree with you (and hope we are wrong but........I think the seller knew exactly what they were doing)

Back when I first joined eBay I had a similar situation with some beauty products, seller had put the wrong email address in PayPal, so could I pay the $50 to this other email address instead (and their sister had set up everything for them)

Never saw the products and lost my $

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

It's been 3 days now, and still not a word from seller. Consider he sent me 4 messages in 2 hours before I send me money and zero in 3 days after, something has to be wrong.

I filed a PayPal dispute (sorry can't wait any longer). This is my first time.

Apparently since PayPal does not have a messaging systemn, the only way buyer and seller can communicate is via the resolution centre. So I asked the "seller" nicely to post the item and provide tracking details, and I thanked him in advance.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I can fully understand why you opened the dispute.

You've got a seller who comes across as either very clueless or else, like enigma bear struck once (and I've been caught too) as a bit sly.

Neither inspires confidence.

Just make sure you follow up on the dispute. It will be interesting to see if your seller replies to paypal. Probably not.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

It's been more than 24 hours since I filed the PayPal dispute.

Seller is still completely silent. No response from seller at PayPal's resolution centre.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

It sounds to me as if you'll be right to get your money back. Just remember to finalise the claim as soon as the system lets you.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Seller re-listed part of the items I purchased (original item was a bundle).

I can escalate to PayPal tomorrow. And will try out eBay's "Report a Seller" system.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply