Seller in the US says ebay has stopped the GSP and it will be back in Spring?

I've been stalking a particular US listing for ages, wanting to ask the seller to ship to Australia, but not even being able to make contact. So I made a new ebay account with a US address, linked it to a mail forwarding service address in the US, considering buying it and having it forwarded. But before I committed to the high forwarding fees, I thought I would contact the seller, explain my situation and ask if they would consider shipping it themselves.

To my surprise, they replied, were very friendly and polite and informed me that unfortunately, due to a decision by ebay, the global shipping program has temporarily been stopped, and it will be back sometime in spring. Until then, they are only able to ship domestically.

TBH I was happy  they actually replied, but then was left puzzled and not knowing what to do. Does anyone know anything about this? From what I can see, the GSP is working fine for other sellers, raking in all those high fees! 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Seller in the US says ebay has stopped the GSP and it will be back in Spring?

@maltapso wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
If they knew you'd created a new account to bypass their blocks for sending overseas, maybe they were suspicious of you and decided to spin you a yard to get rid of you.

Yes, possibly, but they could have just said no, or ignored me, or even blocked me if they were really suspicious. I was actually expecting to be either ignored, or told no, so the response I got was confusing, that's all, doubly so because it's already Spring over there.

But you were blocked. Yet you created a new account to bypass their blocks. I'm guessing they realised that, and spun you a story so they didn't have to deal with you. I'm guessing if you tried to buy now with your fake account, you'd probably find you can't. Despite what you think, sellers aren't idiots. They know when someone has created a fake account to bypass their blocks.

Be warned though, you can be sanctioned and all you accounts shut down for trying to bypass a seller's blocks. That means, you can never buy or sell again. Period.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Seller in the US says ebay has stopped the GSP and it will be back in Spring?

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

But you were blocked. Yet you created a new account to bypass their blocks. I'm guessing they realised that, and spun you a story so they didn't have to deal with you. I'm guessing if you tried to buy now with your fake account, you'd probably find you can't. Despite what you think, sellers aren't idiots. They know when someone has created a fake account to bypass their blocks.

Be warned though, you can be sanctioned and all you accounts shut down for trying to bypass a seller's blocks. That means, you can never buy or sell again. Period.

Thanks for your reply, and your warning,  maybe I should scuttle back into my little box and behave myself lol.

But no, this seller is nice, friendly and helpful.  Not  paranoid or fearfully trying to protect themself from dangerous foreign buyers.   

I wrote back and explained my confusion, and once again they replied, very friendly person. It's true, they no longer have access to the GSP, they want to be able to sell internationally again. This was part of the reply:

"Ebay rolled out a new system called managed payments, eventually everyone will have to switch. It is supposed to open buyers to more options to pay. It sounded great so we switched over. The first thing we noticed was no global shipping. Payments were taking longer to reach our bank account. They are starting to work out the kinks but we've yet to get the global shipping back, although it's promised."

So..... puzzle solved.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply