Seller is not happy with me paying by Paypal

mymarleymoo
Community Member

Ive purchased a large item for $2000 (including postage) from a seller in QLD.  He has good feedback (over 1000) but is hassling me to pay by direct deposit as he has 'problems' with Paypal.

Im uncomfortable paying any other way than Paypal because $2000 is a lot to blow if I dont receive the item and DD doesnt give me any security like Paypal does.  If I insist on paying by Paypal, seller says my item will be delayed by at least 2 weeks because that is how long it takes for him to get my money through Paypal - is that correct?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Seller is not happy with me paying by Paypal

skinnyshrek
Community Member

Stick with pay pal to protect yourself.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

For large amounts I would definitely use paypal, it can take from 5 to 7 days for the seller to receive the funds into their bank accounts, which unless they have a float to cover large amounts of postage they may have to wait for the funds to get to their account.

e-cheque can add an even longer wait, but if you want security it is worth it.

Jenny

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

I just happened to notice your complaint,I no longer sell on eBay from the time that eBay bought PayPal out and forced sellers to accept it as the one and only method of payment until the ACCC stepped in and with people power forced eBay to offer direct deposit also. The reason sellers don't like Paypal is because they lose another cut out of their final price,they are charged not only by eBay when item sells but if payment is thru Paypal then that third party takes a cut out also.Not fair at all on the seller.I;'ve never ever had any problem with my buyers paying thru direct deposit.

As long as you check the feedback of your seller and he/she is up front with any queries from buyer,then I wouldn't hesitate to pay by direct deposit but then again,it's up to you and the seller to work that out BEFORE the auction bids are placed.

Hope this explains just a bit on where sellers stand in relation to eBay and Paypal,

Cheers

Louise

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Louise, if you are going to give information at least make it correct information.

At no stage was paypal the ONLY method of paying on ebay. Paypal and ebay gave in to pressure before the policy was implemented and allowed sellers to continue offering other forms of payment as long as they offered paypal as a safe payment method.  The policy has since been upgraded to allow a choice of safe payment methods of which paypal is still the most popular.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

As a seller I find Paypal the perfect payment option because they send me an email and it is very clear who has paid and how much they have paid and where to send the parcel.

With bank deposit some buyers don't do anything to let you know they have paid and they don't leave their name or ebay ID to identify the transaction.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

Still scratching my head as to why there are so many comments about AP when this item will not, unless I have read the listing wrong and it is for a Sindy/Barbie horse enclosure, not be going anywhere near AP!

I also don't see why ebay buying Paypal would make any difference, the fees are still exactly the same as they were when it was an independant company and the seller protection is much improved.

I too would much rasther receive a Paypal payment than have to go through the process of dealing with a bank deposit payment.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

Without looking at the listing I am wondering if it is a pick up only item and then I could understand the seller wanting bank deposit.

I need to go an have a look at the listing.

BTW PJ Barbie is a doll not a horse even though the manes look similar.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply