Seller lied about an item being stolen to issue a refund, then relisted the item.

Anything I can do? I don't imagine eBay supports this kind of fraud, but I can't find anything online.

Send help.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Seller lied about an item being stolen to issue a refund, then relisted the item.

Nothing you can do.

As they refunded you, it isn't even fraud.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Sounds like the seller is short of a few cans from his six pack, I think you should be extremely grateful he cancelled the deal and you escaped having to have any more dealings with him

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I'd argue that it is literally the definition of fraud.

However I'm inclined to agree that the scumbag will get away with it. I was hoping eBay had some sort of buyer protection in place for this sort of thing.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Not fraud.

He may have looked at your feedback and decided he didn't want to deal with you.

All sellers even retailers can refuse custom.

All he appears to have done is lied, which of course is still not good form.

One used to be able to report sellers for not honouring transactions but eBay stopped acting on those.

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@mike88_theking wrote:

I'd argue that it is literally the definition of fraud.

However I'm inclined to agree that the scumbag will get away with it. I was hoping eBay had some sort of buyer protection in place for this sort of thing.

What buyer protection? You got your money back.

And what would you have ebay do? Send over the ebay SWAT team and force the seller to hand over the goods?

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Agreed to under false pretence, yes. If the seller had said 'sorry, I want to get more money for this' - which the seller has since admitted to - then what?

Honestly (short of a SWAT team), I would have expected some sort of penalty for dishonourable behaviour. You know... accountability and all that. I guess not.

Thanks for all your responces too, I appreciate the input.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@mike88_theking wrote:

Anything I can do? I don't imagine eBay supports this kind of fraud, but I can't find anything online.

Send help.

No. There is nothing you can do. You got a refund, you aren't out of pocket. Yes, it sucks when you really wanted the item, but there is nothing you can do about it. Not in eBay land anyway.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@mike88_theking wrote:

Agreed to under false pretence, yes. If the seller had said 'sorry, I want to get more money for this' - which the seller has since admitted to - then what?

Honestly (short of a SWAT team), I would have expected some sort of penalty for dishonourable behaviour. You know... accountability and all that. I guess not.

Thanks for all your responces too, I appreciate the input.

ebay does have penalty system for the seller:

1. You can leave a negative feedback

2. The seller can only have 0.5% of their transactions where the cancellation is due to the seller's fault. After that they will lose their Top Rated Seller status

Granted, if they are not a Top Rated Seller No.2 above has no effect, but then your negative feedback would do more damage because that means they have limited number of feedbacks per year.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

2. it depends on the reason the seller chose. Hint: it was unlikely to be one that attracts a defect.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply