Seller lied about postage service and overcharged by $11.60. Paypal won't do anything?

So I'm an experienced buyer and seller on eBay so I don't need to be told obvious things, but what I don't get at the moment is people who think it's A) justifiable to lie about postage methods and B) think it's morally OK to do so.

I purchased 6 small items of clothing from a seller and she "combined and discounted" postage to $25. When I clarified how the items were being posted (e.g. is it a 3kg satchel) she said some items were "bulky" and would require thorough packaging and a larger satchel. I was skeptical, as I've been ripped off more in the last year by newbies than any other year out of the 13 I've been on eBay. So I paid for it, trusting her, and of course, everything arrives in a 3kg satchel. I requested honesty from her and reimbursement of the extra, overcharged postage and she had the nerve to tell me her "stuffed went too cheap" - yes, that's how it was worded - and that her postage fee was "accurate".

I opened a dispute via Paypal knowing full well they don't cover the postage side of trading but hoping she'd still do the right thing. In the resolution centre, I asked her to address why she lied about the cost, fully intending to make a profit off me and circumvent eBay fees. Instead, she escalated the dispute to a claim and it was instantly closed. I'm still $11.60 out of pocket.

I left appropriate feedback and then I get this feedback tonight: Thanks for the entertainment, mcdonalds is on you tonight!

Reading between the lines, she's gloating that my extra money is paying for her dinner.

Is there NO protection for buyers at all against low-lifes like this? 'Cos eBay is becoming less and less enjoyable these days. And it is a totally unsatisfactory consolation that I got to leave 6 negative feedbacks.

TIA. 

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Seller lied about postage service and overcharged by $11.60. Paypal won't do anything?

@phorum_junkie - she didn't ever state that $2 was the cost per item. She simply chose a figure to cover her losses and lied about the postage method, then gloated about keeping the extra money.

I did ask what postage was going to be and she said a 5kg bag with extra wrapping etc so that's why I eventually paid the $25. She didn't deliver on that service, therefore I shouldn't have to pay for it. Sellers are now stretching the "handling" rule to a disgraceful extent.
Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

Re: Seller lied about postage service and overcharged by $11.60. Paypal won't do anything?

@diecastcarsvicki - Their feedback hasn't been "destroyed". I've had maybe 8 negatives over 13 years and it hasn't destroyed anything. I can still buy and sell.

Secondly, she didn't state that it was a $2 handling fee. She said it was to cover what she felt she lost in the auctions = circumventing eBay fees.

Buying items at low prices has nothing to do with accepting poor morals and practices from rude sellers.

It also has nothing to do with whether or not I add them to my listings or use them as gifts for my 16 nieces and nephews.

I have never stated that I bragged about leaving this girl negative feedback. I went through all the appropriate channels and she knew what was going to happen.

At least people who buy items from me know they're getting charged the actual costs for postage and handling and won't have to deal with a liar. But if dealing with someone like that is your style, you're welcome not to deal with me.
Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

She said postage would have to be in a 5kg bag with other fancy wrapping etc and that's why it'd cost $25. It wasn't sent in a 5kg bag. I believe that's deceitful and fully planned beforehand, knowing that once she had my payment, she didn't have to return any of it.

$11.60 is an entirely new lot of postage (another 3kg bag via click and send). My problem is, these sellers wait to see what their items sell for, then charge extra accordingly. I've had people admit it time and time again and I do think it's a rip off and it's very dishonest practice. Maybe I'm just an idealist !
Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

@libertyandwhimsy wrote:
She said postage would have to be in a 5kg bag with other fancy wrapping etc and that's why it'd cost $25. It wasn't sent in a 5kg bag. I believe that's deceitful and fully planned beforehand, knowing that once she had my payment, she didn't have to return any of it.

$11.60 is an entirely new lot of postage (another 3kg bag via click and send). My problem is, these sellers wait to see what their items sell for, then charge extra accordingly. I've had people admit it time and time again and I do think it's a rip off and it's very dishonest practice. Maybe I'm just an idealist !

I agree that lying about postage services that will be used is wrong, so I'm not trying to condone that, but to be honest, unless a firm quote is attained before purchase, the seller has no obligation to meet certain quote expectations, and once a quote was provided, while I can completely understand why you thought it was over the top for a 3kg satchel, there wasn't any real need to question it. When you ask for a quote, you're not asking how much it will cost the seller to post something to you, you're asking how much it will cost you to have the seller package and post them to you. If you have certain expectations and only want to deal with sellers who meet them, you need to make sure they will prior to purchase. 

If a seller is unwilling to provide a firm quote up front without good reason (and for things like clothing, it's easy enough to say X amount for each satchel range), then I think you can be relatively assured that you won't want to deal with them and can avoid these situations all together. 

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

I just want to add - obviously I've made an assumption that all postage negotiations took place after purchase; that's the way it reads (i.e. purchase was made, quote provided, then questioned), but I don't know for sure that's what happened so disregard whatever isn't applicable.

Either way, the seller should have just said "I'm using a 3kg satchel and the price is $25.00". 

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

Agree! Then I would have said don't worry about it haha
๐Ÿ™‚
Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

Try this,I have just purchased a large jug vase and thought due to the size it may cost up to twenty five dollars postage and was willing  to pay to have it well packed and thought I would be reimbursed any of the fifty dollars charged(silly me).The item arrived in a very well used cardboard box,cumpled shopping bags for packaging so the staples in the box scratched the vase.When the package arrived postage was stamped at $16.85 and when I requested a refund  for the massive postal over charge  the seller advised she wouldnt be refunding anything.I emailed Ebay and was advised they were not obliged to intervene and we would have to sort it ourselves.

How can you when the seller refused point blank and ignores your email.SHAME ON YOU Ebay for your lack of assistance.

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

As this is an old thread, any references above to sellers having high postage costs to circumvent fees is  out  of date.

Buyers agree to the postage cost stated when they purchase an item. I would not rely on a seller refunding any amount over the actual cost of postage after the sale.

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

Apart from this thread being nearly a year old, the person you were replying to isn't even a member of eBay any more, so I highly doubt she will read your message ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

stu1704
Community Member

i have disputed $5.00 postage added to my invoice after winning item. ebays policies allow this. i think it is disgusting the way ebay treats their customers and i also think they care.

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply