Seller refunding because they didn't get enough money for item

gagmck
Community Member
I'm so angry that eBay allows a seller to sell an item and then after I paid for it the seller then sends me a message that she didn't get enough money for the item so it won't be sent. I then offered to pay the postage as I wanted the item and she then refunded my money with a no I'm not having the item for that price. Ebay response was that I got my money back so there's no problem. The problem is the seller should not be allowed to sell something and then decide it wasnt enough money without consequence. I can't even give the seller bad feedback as its a closed case because she refunded. Discusting business ethics.
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

eBay has a habit of encouraging poor selling practices like offering free postage and 99c start auctions.  Newbies fall for that rubbish and list items that are worth a lot with a 99c start bid and when there is only one bidder they feel that it is not fair.

I am not defending your seller or any seller that refuses to send because of a low price, but I donโ€™t have all the facts surrounding your transaction.  I am going to ask a few questions so that anyone else who replies to your Opening Post will have more details about the listing.

You wrote that you offered to pay the postage, so was it a free postage or pickup item?  

Was it an auction or Buy-It-Now item?  If auction, was it a 99c start bid auction?

How experienced is the seller?

How much is the item worth and how much was your winning bid (if auction)?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Whilst it's not good form and sellers are required to complete the transaction, eBay are partly to blame as mentioned.

New sellers are roped into eBay's suggestions of starting auctions low with no reserves on eBay Aus.

Or new sellers add a BIN thinking it's a reserve.

We were all newbies and made learning curve mistakes no doubt so don't get angry, just move on and find another.

To tell you the truth if I get a great item at a very low price I feel embarrased and often offer a little more or suggest the seller relist if they are a newbie.

(waves to Sir sales) Smiley Happy

image host
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@gagmck wrote:
I'm so angry that eBay allows a seller to sell an item and then after I paid for it the seller then sends me a message that she didn't get enough money for the item so it won't be sent.

eBay don't allow it, it's more a case of they can't do anything to force someone to keep your payment and send you an item, short of having goons 'Bay Squads - i.e. people employed for the sole purpose of going 'round knocking on people's doors and forcing offering both the cash and knee jobs strong encouragement to do the "right thing" (as is being interpreted on the day ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

But, then that would be ebay deciding on behalf of everyone, and outside of the law, what is enforced and what is not, which is treading some murky (if not dangerous) waters, albeit familiar. 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

gagmck
Community Member
Yes but feedback should be allowed or some consequence for not doing the right thing. By not having consequences it allows people to do these things. And now that I know I'm going to stop losing money and retract items just because i didn't get what i expected for something.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

gagmck
Community Member
They are not new. 500 sales and 100%
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@gagmck wrote:
Yes but feedback should be allowed 

It is, the transaction goes from your recent purchase history, but it can be accessed via the feedback forum.

Feedback is best when it isn't angry and / or reactionary, so I'd always recommend waiting for a day or two before leaving it, that way it stands a better chance of being calm, factual, and not susceptible for removal if it's important for you that it stay. 

As for the other thing... if the seller's actions got you this angry about it, why would you want to do that to someone else, regardless of whether there's any consequences? (I recognise you're probably being facetious, but just thought I'd add that, anyway, on the off-chance you're not). 

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

gagmck
Community Member
They were not new and it was free postage. The item was worth a lot more but that's why you start at a price you are comfortable with. She actually said to me in a message that she was not going to send it because she thought it would sell for a lot more and it should have covered postage. Not my problem. You post the auction. Deal with your actions. I have sent things before when i forgot to fill in the postage properly and lost out. Not any more. I just won't send and nothing anyone does about it. Ridiculous. This is why the world is turning to **bleep** because there is no consequence for actions and it all starts with getting away with little things like this on eBay and escalates into do what you like because cops can't touch you. Bla bla.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

You have already been told that there are consequences for what the seller has done.....you can leave feedback to let others know that they do not follow through with sales.

But just a warning....keep it calm and factual.  If you spit the dummy as you have on this thread the seller will probably be able to have it removed.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@gagmck wrote:
They were not new and it was free postage. The item was worth a lot more but that's why you start at a price you are comfortable with. She actually said to me in a message that she was not going to send it because she thought it would sell for a lot more and it should have covered postage. Not my problem. You post the auction. Deal with your actions. I have sent things before when i forgot to fill in the postage properly and lost out. Not any more. I just won't send and nothing anyone does about it. Ridiculous. This is why the world is turning to **bleep** because there is no consequence for actions and it all starts with getting away with little things like this on eBay and escalates into do what you like because cops can't touch you. Bla bla.

bit of a stretch

Spoiler
late contender
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply