Seller refuses to send item, how will it affect me?

I recently bought about 8 items off a seller and they immidiately sent me a message saying that they refused to send me the items, so I shouldn't bother paying. I obviously told the seller all their obligations and such, but they didn't budge so I contacted eBay. Essentially they told me that if the seller refused to send the items I should leave negative feedback and move on, and if I get an "unpaid item" strike they would remove it because they have the messages between the seller and I recorded.

What I'm unsure about, is that there are 8 items total, and if cases are opened for all 8 items as "unpaid item cases" (they were extremely rude and refused to cancel the transaction, so I wouldn't be surprised) would I have time to contact eBay and notify them of the situation? Or would my account just be suspended for "not paying" for 8 items before I could do anything about it. Moreover, would eBay even listen or do anything about i? I've never had an "unpaid item" strike so I have no idea what the process is. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Seller refuses to send item, how will it affect me?

So what happens if the seller lodges 8 x UPIs and their negs are remove as a result; will the defect also be removed, or will it still stand by virtue of the fact that the seller refunded the buyer's payment?
Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

not sure CQ it hasn't happened to me and I don't want to find out. LOL. I would sure as heck be agruing the point though.

I just know about the defects because it happened to me the other day.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

All I know is that I refunded a buyer's payment last month and copped a defect for it, despite having been told to do so by eBay themselves. The whole thing is just too bloody confusing and I'm almost pleased that I won't be selling any more from the end of this month. I certainly won't be sorry to see the back of this place.
Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

So Narelle you are saying its OK for a seller not to send an item that has been paid for? Where do you draw the money line? $0.06, $6.00, $60.00, $600.00?

Its the fact the item was paid for out of good faith regardless of the price.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

basal6...

So Narelle you are saying its OK for a seller not to send an item that has been paid for? Where do you draw the money line? $0.06, $6.00, $60.00, $600.00?

Its the fact the item was paid for out of good faith regardless of the price.

Narelle didn't say that - she only remarked on the need to leave all those negs.

And of course price has everything to do with it! This is far from  giving a neg to someone who DID cheat you out of several hundred dollars - as you can't really increase the number of negs for shonks, still only one at the time.

But, I'm a buyer, and I am saying it: 

In my books it's just fine not to post items that sold so cheap. If I was the buyer here I would have been the first to suggest it!

Don't know why the OP is so surprised, as well as outraged (he must have been to leave all those negs).

If seller doesn't get any money at the end of auction, for what ever reason - it wouldn't do any of us who win such items  any harm to offer them a bit more, maybe a figure that we had in mind all along, our max that we would have bid on if there were other bidders.

Even then, seller may not agree to that - but at least we would know we tried.

But, ideally, this joint ought to have reserves on EVERYTHING. Then things like this would never happen.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

So sorry for your troubles. It totally sucks.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

it wouldn't do any of us who win such items  any harm to offer them a bit more, maybe a figure that we had in mind all along, our max that we would have bid on if there were other bidders.

I didn't include it in my original post because I didn't see it fit, but seeing as you brought it up, I did offer a lot more for each item, in fact I was willing to offer what the seller actually wanted per item.

The reason I left all the negs wasn't just because they did not hold up their end of the contract, it was also because they were extremely rude and hurled insults at me for no reason every time I did say "I'm more than happy to pay for them, in fact I'm willing to pay a bit more as I do really want the items and I feel bad they went for such a low price."
And what response did I get from this?
Them telling me I was dumb.

Why? Who knows. 

All I know is that if I'm going to be polite and offer more money, only to be insulted, I'm not going to just "ignore them and move on."
Other people need to know the way this guy acts and if I save someone having a ridiculous experience like mine, then that's all that matters. 

I've had experiences like this with sellers who haven't gotten what they wanted for their item, so they politely asked if I could pay a little bit more, and so I did.
Not only that, I left them positive feedback for being such a polite seller.
But I'm not going to leave positive feedback and skip along for someone who is going to act like a child, and even refuse to cancel the transaction because they're too lazy to do it.

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

The day this place has a reserve on every single little carpy thing listed will result in a lot less bidding from me and I suspect plenty of others.

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

sprinkles,

I'm excatly the oposite!

If "every little piddly thing" had a reserve it would encourage me to bid on more things with low starts - without the fear of actually winning something at the opening bid and potentially profiting at the cost to the buyer.

Definitely don't like those awkward situations!

Can you imagine how awful it would be fronting up at someone's front door for a pick up item that you won for 99c - and handing them a dollar!

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

I wasn't really referring to pick up items, Fix. I've only ever bid on a pick up item once ages ago and won. Sure didn't go for 99c but I see what you mean there. I wouldn't have the heart to front up to a seller's place and give the poor sod 99c. In saying that, a lot of sellers caught out like that will simply refuse to complete the sale.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply