Seller refuses to send item, how will it affect me?

I recently bought about 8 items off a seller and they immidiately sent me a message saying that they refused to send me the items, so I shouldn't bother paying. I obviously told the seller all their obligations and such, but they didn't budge so I contacted eBay. Essentially they told me that if the seller refused to send the items I should leave negative feedback and move on, and if I get an "unpaid item" strike they would remove it because they have the messages between the seller and I recorded.

What I'm unsure about, is that there are 8 items total, and if cases are opened for all 8 items as "unpaid item cases" (they were extremely rude and refused to cancel the transaction, so I wouldn't be surprised) would I have time to contact eBay and notify them of the situation? Or would my account just be suspended for "not paying" for 8 items before I could do anything about it. Moreover, would eBay even listen or do anything about i? I've never had an "unpaid item" strike so I have no idea what the process is. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Had they been an experienced seller I would probably have paid for each item in a different payment so it cost them the 30c flat Paypal fee for each item which is no longer refunded however they are newbies so I would probably have told them what could have happened but left it at that and not left any negs.

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

You just left a seller 8 negs for a total of $1.67 seriously? You must have been really mad.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

Why don't you pay for the items regardless? The seller will have to refund your money and will receive well-deserved defects for doing so, and you won't run the risk of copping 8 strikes despite eBay's promise to remove them. Just make sure you pay via Paypal and you won't have a problem.

(edit) I see you've already left feedback so ignore my suggestion above. Also, do you realise that despite leaving 8 negs, they all count as only one defect in total? You should have left them a week apart so they'd all count against the seller.

Also, if the seller opens UPIs, all of those negs will be removed.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Had they been an experienced seller I would probably have paid for each item in a different payment so it cost them the 30c flat Paypal fee for each item which is no longer refunded however they are newbies so I would probably have told them what could have happened but left it at that and not left any negs.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

actually that is not the case. You receive a defect for each one according to my report.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

That's what I was saying the other day about defects, it's not like positive feedback. If you have say 10 separate transactions one the one day and the buyer leaves neg feedback a few days later the defect total is 10 not 1.

Where as positive feedback left within a period of 7 days still only increases your feedback score by 1 regardless of how many transactions. which is totally unfair.

No level playing ground on ebay!

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

Why don't you pay for the items regardless? The seller will have to refund your money and will receive well-deserved defects for doing so, and you won't run the risk of copping 8 strikes despite eBay's promise to remove them. Just make sure you pay via Paypal and you won't have a problem.

(edit) I see you've already left feedback so ignore my suggestion above. Also, do you realise that despite leaving 8 negs, they all count as only one defect in total? You should have left them a week apart so they'd all count against the seller.

Also, if the seller opens UPIs, all of those negs will be removed.

cq its not when the fb is left, it is the number of purchases in one week that count as only 1 in fb no matter when you leave the fb

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

it's not even that putney, not for defects

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

They were following ebay advice.

If you look at it, ebay was looking after itself to some extent.

They didn't advise paying via paypal and then putting in an unpaid items dispute, which would cover the buyer completely.

Nope, they advised negative feedback and move on.

The seller certainly does not have a lot of feedback but they are not a newbie, they have been on ebay a couple of years and that is long enough to have found out a bit about the way things work.

I do feel very sorry for them because some of their items sold for only 6 cents and that was with 2 bids.

The moral of the story is it doesn't always pay to start off an auction at 1c, no matter what ebay might say about it creating interest.

If I sold things at only 6c i probably would refuse to post them too, it would be a loss of the goods, time, wrapping costs and petrol.

But the bottom line is sellers should start the auction at a fair price, not a ridiculously cheap price. I would say this ebay seller has learnt that lesson the hard way!

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Although the seller receives only one single defect, at least potential buyers can see the 8 individual negs.

And under the circumstances, I can't really see the buyer being hit with any UPIs—because they contacted eBay to alert them.

—G.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply