Seller tried to extort more money from me

I bought a cool little dynamo tail light for my bike a couple of months ago, and after waiting an extra month after the quoted delivery date with no delivery, I contacted the seller for a replacement. I was then told it would require an extra $20AU to add tracking 'so it doesn't get lost again'. I tried to get them to ship without tracking, as I originally ordered (because how is tracking going to help if something gets lost, it's not like tracking means the item gets a GPS on it, it's just there to show the delivery progress) and, after a few back and forths with the seller arguing with me about how they didn't want to take the loss (even though they still offer the option for shipping without tracking), they refunded me against my will and blocked me.
This is bad seller ethics. How can anyone trust their feedback score when they simply block anyone they have a problem with? They want to gamble by offering a reduced price by not including tracking, but don't want to take the loss when their gamble inevitably fails.
What can I do about this? Can I somehow report the seller? They really shouldn't be selling if that's how they handle a simple lost item.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

cezm
Community Member

I think it's usually best to put in an item not received claim if a purchase doesn't arrive.

That way you have your money back and you can purchase elsewhere (or from the same seller if you feel it was really a post issue).

Tracking protects the seller, not the buyer, assuming you've paid by a safe means

By waiting for a replacement you are likely to run out of claim time if the replacement doesn't arrive

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You have a refund, move on and find another seller.

image host
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Your word against theirs it did not arrive, as you know 

Obviously the seller did not want to risk you saying the same thing again

If you think they are such a bad seller why would you want to buy from them again? surely the item is not so unique nobody else is selling it

You really can't say so-and-so is a bad seller but then demand they send another item to you

You were sent a refund so you are not owed anything

And the seller could say the same about your feedback, buyers can only be given positives so how can anyone trust it? 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

You are perfectly right, tracking doesn't make a whole lot of difference to you, the buyer, except that you can see the delivery process. It is mainly of advantage to the seller, to prove delivery.

When a seller sends something that doesn't arrive, you can open an item not received claim and you should get your money back.

What you can't do though is demand the seller sends a replacement. Sometimes they will, but it isn't a given.

In the circumstances, a refund was the best option for both of you.

Sellers are allowed to block anyone from buying. Ebay can't sanction people for using the facilities it gives them. Sellers will often block buyers from certain regions or buyers who have had unpaid item strikes against them or anyone they have had  trouble with during a transaction. It isn't rare, I'd say a lot of sellers have similar blocks and bans in place.

I guess you can't 100% trust the feedback score of anyone but you can get a bit of a feel for what sellers are like because buyers can usually give feedback if they have had a bad experience.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment (but before I do, I just want to make it clear that if a buyer of mine claims an item is not received and I send a replacement, I will generally upgrade the package to a tracked service out of my own pocket - however, if the upgrade would cause more of a loss than refunding, then I would refund, uness there were extenuating circumstances).

If you look at it from the seller's perspective, though, they have a buyer claiming that an item wasn't received, who wants a replacement, and doesn't want the replacement sent by a tracked method. In reality, you don't want to have to pay for the tracking, which is understandable, but the situation could be reading very differently to the seller; especially because it appears you contacted the seller and asked for a replacment, rather than to look into the situation and see what could be done (red flag - I may have actually blocked you myself from this first message, if that's what you sent to the seller, and probably wouldn't have actually offered a replacement option at all) - untracked doesn't necessarily mean 100% untraceable, BTW, especially for international mail that has customs numbers and barcodes that are scanned / recorded as the package progresses (if you have a customs number, you can often contact Australia Post with it to ask them if it has landed in Aus, and they can usually confirm where it last was scanned if it has), you have to remember most people will react and respond based on information they know for sure themselves, and all of their past experiences in similar situations. If I were the seller, I would have been immediately suspicious, though still wouldn't have asked for money to send a replacement with an upgraded postage service.

I find it interesting that you say the seller is taking a gamble by sending untracked, but (presumably) you're not by wanting an untracked service, since this still gives fewer options to follow up in the event a package goes astray, and allows buyers such as yourself to presume lost and never going to arrive, rather than contact relevant postal services to do something about the package they haven't delivered yet.

There is nothing to report - you got a full refund, and the seller no longer wants to sell to you (as is their right). I certainly wouldn't have handled it quite like they did, I firmly believe a buyer should not pay any more than the original price to receive what they ordered if a replacement is being sent (unless they specifically want an upgraded service for the replacement, like SOD or express, or both), but in the way it was approached, I can also see potential for the seller to have had alarm bells ringing and want to handle this in perhaps a different way that they might otherwise. 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

If you look at it from the seller's perspective, though, they have a buyer claiming that an item wasn't received, who wants a replacement, and doesn't want the replacement sent by a tracked method.

There is nothing to report - you got a full refund, and the seller no longer wants to sell to you (as is their right).

I can also see potential for the seller to have had alarm bells ringing and want to handle this in perhaps a different way that they might otherwise. 

Exactly so.

Sassarutobi  wrote:

after a few back and forths with the seller arguing with me about how they didn't want to take the loss (even though they still offer the option for shipping without tracking), they refunded me against my will and blocked me.
This is bad seller ethics.

It is obvious from what Sass said that the seller was a bit alarmed at the demand for a replacement. It wasn't a refund that was worrying them so much as the idea that a replacement might go AWOL too, potentially leaving them out of pocket for 2 items plus still in the situation of having to give a refund.

If I were selling, I am not sure I would want to post a second item off without tracking that time and I would not want to be paying an extra $20 out of pocket for it either so the full refund would be the way to go.

What sass needs to realise is that the seller block is probably in place not so much because of the item being lost in the post (if it is totally lost, it could still turn up in the future) and the seller having to refund, but more because of the arguing in messages and the seller feeling he was being hassled by that buyer. The seller is willing to take the risk of posting his items without tracking, but not necessarily to those he sees as higher risk or trouble in some way, and that is his right.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply