Seller will only give partial refund if I agree to change my feedback rating given. Is this ethical?

I ordered something that when it arrived was to my disappointment, the right product, but in the wrong colour. I notified the seller and was told that I could keep the item or return it at my expense for a refund. As i needed said item that weekend, I was caught with little choice but to keep it.

I informed the seller of this and that I would be giving the transaction a negative rating, although I was honest enough to still give high values on shipping, delivery times, etc.

The seller said that keeping the product was fine and as soon as I changed my rating I would be given my partial refund.

This I don't like. It feels wrong. I didn't screw up, they did. I didn't lie, it wasn't a positive transaction and if I change my rating to say otherwise I would be lying to any and all future buyers.

Am I over analyzing this? Should I just change my rating and well.....lie?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Seller will only give partial refund if I agree to change my feedback rating given. Is this ethi

Actually CQ I don't think there's a time limit on follow-up feedback, I've just done it for feedback 7 months old.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Re: Seller will only give partial refund if I agree to change my feedback rating given. Is this ethi

Seems that you're quite right, Padi. I just tried it on a 2yo sale and there was no problem at all. Thanks for that, as it's very useful information for future reference. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

For the OP-

To leave a follow-up comment to a Feedback you left for another member:

1. On the Follow up to Feedback left for Others page, choose the comment and click Follow up.
2. Enter your follow-up comment and click Leave Follow-up Comment.

Your follow-up comment will appear just below your original comment.

Follow-up comments can, as you found out, be utilized for any sale, no matter how old.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

It didn't feel like he was trying to bribe me, more like blackmail me. Do this or else no partial refund.

With the follow up comment, is there anyway to alter and or delete them if you want?

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

@davmari5976 wrote:

It didn't feel like he was trying to bribe me, more like blackmail me. Do this or else no partial refund.

With the follow up comment, is there anyway to alter and or delete them if you want?

The follow-up comment will go underneath the original feedback, so no it doesn't alter the original just adds to it, and as far as I know they can't be altered/deleted once posted.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

No, as Padi says they are permanent and can only be deleted by ebay or via a seller's feedback revision request.
Message 16 of 16
Latest reply