Seller will only give partial refund if I agree to change my feedback rating given. Is this ethical?

I ordered something that when it arrived was to my disappointment, the right product, but in the wrong colour. I notified the seller and was told that I could keep the item or return it at my expense for a refund. As i needed said item that weekend, I was caught with little choice but to keep it.

I informed the seller of this and that I would be giving the transaction a negative rating, although I was honest enough to still give high values on shipping, delivery times, etc.

The seller said that keeping the product was fine and as soon as I changed my rating I would be given my partial refund.

This I don't like. It feels wrong. I didn't screw up, they did. I didn't lie, it wasn't a positive transaction and if I change my rating to say otherwise I would be lying to any and all future buyers.

Am I over analyzing this? Should I just change my rating and well.....lie?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Seller will only give partial refund if I agree to change my feedback rating given. Is this ethical?

cq_tech
Community Member
Absolutely not. Your seller is Chinese so if you're gullible enough to revise your feedback, do you honestly expect him to honour his promise to give you a partial refund? It's a common ploy they all use and invariably those silly enough to agree to a revision will never hear from their seller again. Did you check his negative feedback? You're not the only customer who has had a bad experience, so put this episode down to experience and just forget about him.
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

This becoming all to common with the amount of posts on here. As cq_tech  says. "Absolutely not". Don't be fooled and don't let these dodgy sellers get away with Bribes and promises. Buyers must realise that this is JUST NOT ON. 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

No and I would also do a follow up to feedback saying "stop harassing me to change feedback".
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Mmmm, thought so. Very new to all this obviously, but instincts said 'wrong!'....as you say chalk it up to a lesson. Thankyou for the respones.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Just as a matter of interest, I have just received my 9th email from the Chinese seller for whom I left a very well-deserved neg and an appropriate follow-up last month, despite my telling him not to annoy me any more. Seems that reporting him to ebay for harassment hasn't made the slightest bit of difference. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I just altered my feedback......

Left the negative rating and then changed my message from - "Right glove, wrong colour." to - "Right glove, wrong colour. Seller wants feedback changed for partial refund...NO! "

He also normally responds within an hour of messaging, as we're on the same time zone, but I haven't heard from him since I messaged that changing feedback would be dishonest to others....why am I not surprised.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Just so you know, you still have the ability to add a follow-up comment to your existing feedback if he continues to harass or annoy you.

Also, did you use his feedback revision request to change your previous feedback? If so, he's going to be positively livid because he only gets a set number of those each year. He deserves nothing less. LOL.
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Really?

I honestly didn't know that.......my bad.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Well now you do, but don't let it bother you because what you did is exactly what he deserved, and he may be a little more cautious the next time he tries to bribe somebody to revise their feedback. Had you revised it to the positive he so desperately wanted, it's highly unlikely that he'd have sent you a partial refund anyway, and then you'd be stuck with having left him a positive which you'd be unable to change, so no harm done at all.

Furthermore, if he continues to harass you in any way, you still have the ability to leave him an additional follow-up comment to add to your existing negative at any time during the available 60-day feedback period, so if he doesn't stop annoying you, be sure that you make very good use of it.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply