Seller won't Refund

Hello,

How can I get help from eBay?

The following explanation is long. Sorry.

I purchased some items in October 2021. They arrived within the month, but they were NOT the items ordered.

The seller admitted that they were wrong and offered to refund or resupply the correct items.

I chose to have them reship the correct items, and the seller said they would send the correct items.

After a month the replacement items had not arrived. The seller said they had reshipped the correct items and asked me to wait for a fortnight, and said that if the items didn't arrive they would refund or send more.

This communication went back and forward for two months. I opened an issue with eBay. EBay said to try to work it out with the seller. If by the 6th Jan 2022 I had no resolution, I could ask eBay to step in.

Then I asked the seller for a refund. The seller all of a sudden changed tack and refused to provide a refund.

Today I tried to ask eBay to step in, but there is no way to actually ask then because that button is no longer visible. They removed it!

I think I have been scammed, by the seller, purposefully fobbing me off. I suspect they had no intention of providing a refund.

I also think I have been scammed by eBay themselves, by letting me think I could ask them to step in when they were not going to.

This is an example of lack of professionalism and poor business ethics.

Can anyone make a suggestion that might help me retrieve my $85.00?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Seller won't Refund

It is a common trick to offer to send a replacement, then nothing arrives, so it is better not to accept such offers.

It is too late for eBay to help you, but you can still open a dispute in PayPal if you used it to pay.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

There are procedures to follow and buyers should absolutely read them if they intend on using eBay to buy things.  

IF you paid using PayPal, log into PayPal and open a case there.
Do not close the case under any circumstances. 

Do Not communicate with the seller any more!!!!!!!!! 

*** Also, the forum board policy is probably another good one to read. You are not allowed to name sellers here. A mod will edit your post and remove the sellers name. 

Come back once you’ve opened a PayPal claim.  
Come back if you didn’t use PayPal, and we’ll see what we can do for you. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

No doubt the seller never had any intention of doing the right thing

Registered in The Philippines with shocking feedback 

Pleas stop communicating with this seller and follow the advice given 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

For future purchases, always check the sellers location and the feedback.

That overseas seller has 92%, which is atrocious. Anything less than at least 98.5% for a high volume seller might be risky.

You never need to go back and forth communicating with a seller.

You have a window of 30 days from the last estimated date of delivery to open a case. Had you followed procedure and opened a case for "Not as Described", this would have put the onus back on the seller. If the seller wants the items back, they need to either send you a shipping label (if domestic), or they need to send you the return postage funds upfront (if international). You must never be out of pocket for shipping back an item that is defective/incorrect.

If the seller does not want the item back or refuses to pay for the shipping, they will need to refund you. Never close a case or just wait simply because the seller "promises" to send the correct item. Get your money back and then you can decide if you want to repurchase.

Please note that this is not a lack of professionalism/ethics on Ebays part. The tools that a buyer needs are literally right there for them to use, if one bothers to read the buyer guidelines/timelines and what to do in the event of an issue.

Ebay does not know if there is a problem if you are simply communicating with a seller. How would they? The only way to involve Ebay and make an issue "formal", is by opening a dispute.

Since you are out of time on Ebay, you can open a dispute on Paypal as mentioned, assuming you paid that way.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

Thanks to all,

I admit that I read initial messages from the seller as honest comments. I now know better.

Also, My mistake about using sellers name, I didn't know the rules.

Yes, I used PayPal and I have just submitted a dispute claim to them.

I'll report back when I receive further from them.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

@thebestpurchaserever,

For future reference, keep these timeframes in mind.

eBay's Money Back Guarantee: If an item is not as described/significantly not as described (SNAD or INAD), or if an item hasn't been received (INR) by the last day of the Estimated Delivery Date (EDD), you must open a refund request/case/report/claim in eBay no later than 30 days from the latest EDD.

PayPal Buyer Protection: If it's too late to open an MBG claim, or if the MBG claim was denied, you can still open a claim under PayPal Buyer Protection. You have exactly 180 days from the date of transaction.

Both of these processes are bot-driven, so bear in mind you have absolutely no later than 30 days from the latest EDD to the second, and 180 days from the transaction date to the second, respectively.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

Thanks.

I've learnt not to accept seller offering to replace wrong or damaged items. To avoid stress and heart ache in the future, I will open a claim with eBay instead.

Thanks all.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

@thebestpurchaserever wrote:

Thanks to all,

I admit that I read initial messages from the seller as honest comments. I now know better.

Also, My mistake about using sellers name, I didn't know the rules.

Yes, I used PayPal and I have just submitted a dispute claim to them.

I'll report back when I receive further from them.

Thanks again.

------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. Well, having purchased the item(s) in Oct, you have time on your side. But you much escalate your claim otherwise it won't do the trick. so after contacting seller a second time, and saying that you have received nothing, you need to escalate it. A week from now should be OK as you have time. Better to escalate earlier than later as you could forget.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Seller won't Refund

Hello all,

As I mentioned, I put a claim in to PayPal for a refund.

I just received a communication from PayPal in which they indicate they will refund the total ($84.96) on the condition that I send the original items back to "eBay" at my expense.

Now, since the items are of no use to me at all, I have no issue with sending them back. However, I'm annoyed that I have to foot the bill for shipping. The seller, who caused the issue, is not disadvantaged, but I am. I can't even provide buyer feedback to alert other potential buyers.

Why don't people play nice?

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply