why does ebay allow fake MPPT solar regulators to be sold on Ebay Australia

All Ebay has to do is have a unit tested, oh what a supprise the chinese are selling fake units all overy ebay Australia 

will ebay ever do anything about this.

Thousands of Australians are being ripped off buying fake MPPT solar Regulators.

A true MPPT solar charge has a coil inside them, guess what the fakes do not because they are only a std PWM charging unit and not at genuine true MPPT..

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

eBay is an advertising medium run on a trust basis by it's members.

eBay cannot vet millions of listings.

I suspect these units should be regulated at the border upon importation.

Any electronic items that don't meet local regulations should not be allowed to cross the border.

An advertising site, amateur in advanced electronics cannot be expected to be a regulator.

image host
Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Is this in response to the neg you got for one ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Charge-Controller-20A-MPPT-PWM-Solar-Regulator-12V-IP68-Waterproof...

Which looks very similar, even down to the photos, of an imported one.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10A-20A-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-12V-24V-IP68-Waterproof-Regulator-T...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Looks like someone needs to research suppliers before purchasing.

detective-smiley-emoticon.gifGood work matey.

image host
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

as you will see in our listing we clearly state these units are a PWM charging mode.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

These units are clearly a  PWM charging mode and should be noted in the listing that they are a PWM charging Mode and not a MPPT charging mode.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

@ctradeaustralia,

In the first link which padi posted, the image has the words "MPPT 20 AMP" in large bright orange superimposed upon it.

The actual item in that image has the words "MPPT SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER" upon it.

The title of the listing is "Solar Charge Controller 20A MPPT PWM Solar Regulator 12V IP68 Waterproof Model" which is, at the very least, confusing.

It's only in the description that you write "Solar Charge Controller 20A Fast charge PWM Solar Regulator 12V/24V". Many eBay buyers don't read descriptions (particularly if they are purchasing on their mobile phone or tablet), and furthermore, you've made it even more difficult for buyers to see the description because you're using a horrible fixed-height window for the entire description, meaning that buyers have to scroll down within your window within the browser window in order to see that there's any description there.

So... which is it? MPPT or PWM?

And is it the same unit as that showing in padi's second link? That is, a Chinese unbranded unit that has not passed Australian Standards?

There is at the very least significant chance of the buyer being misled by virtue of the image of the item and the title of the item listing contradicting the description. In addition, I've no idea if this item has gone through the required standards process.

There are regulations that apply to the supply of electrical equipment and appliances. The requirements set out in the regulations must be followed. A failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Regulations and Standards apply to all electrical equipment sold or offered for supply in Australia.    Certain types of equipment are classified as prescribed. These pieces of equipment must go through a certification process which ensures the equipment is compliant to the relevant safety standards before being offered for supply in Australia.

Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM)

Prescribed electrical products must have an RCM on the appliance or an Australian approval number to show that the product has been certified.
This mark is currently recognised by all States and Territories of Australia.

Regulatory Compliance Mark

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

@ctradeaustralia wrote:

as you will see in our listing we clearly state these units are a PWM charging mode.

In your current listing for them you have both MPPT and PWM in the title, it seems to me that the unit either has to be one or the other, not both in the same unit. if you are using the details in the listing to say it's only PWM charging then your listing is misleading (if not fraudulent) and should not under any circumstances have MPPT in the title. If a buyer was to open a case for INAD claiming the unit does not have MPPT charging you would lose the dispute.

You need to change the title and get rid of the MPPT in it, or you will likely get another neg to go with the last one.

Like Countess, I would suspect that the units you have listed are not able to pass Australian Standards.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Charge-Controller-20A-MPPT-PWM-Solar-Regulator-12V-IP68-Waterproof...

http://www.enerdrive.com.au/mppt-vs-pwm-solar-controllers/

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

And the photo with MPPT  displayed very prominently

That and the heading (as mentioned) are by far very very clear, unlike something written way down the page in the description

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

And the photo with MPPT  displayed very prominently

That and the heading (as mentioned) are by far very very clear, unlike something written way down the page in the description

As does the MPPT on the unit itself bear.................the OP could get in all sorts of trouble with the listing I reckon.

As I said in my first post the listing is an almost direct copy of the Chinese import.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply