Seller won't send invoice for combined postage

I recently bought 3 items of clothing from the same seller I have asked for an invoice assuming they would combine them as I do when I sell,I never asked if they combined postage just assumed(hindsight is a good thing).They do not answer any msgs I have sent so it looks like I am up for $27 postage when they would easily fit in a 3kg satchel.I realise they are not obliged to combine postage but I know I would just sounds greedy to me I am thinking as they started the auction at 99c they didn't achieve the price they wanted so maybe don't want to sell them.Any ideas can I cancel the transactions as have had no response from seller but reminders from ebay to pay.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

You can't make a seller combine postage, they are not obligated to. You know you should have asked prior to bidding but considering you got the 3 item for $10.50 in total you are still doing ok even with $27.00 in postage.

Your options:

pay the seller and put your mess up down to personal experience.

Don't pay,  receive a strike for non payment and the seller will relist the items

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Yes I know I should have asked but  I give combined postage whether the buyer asks or not and they could do me the courtesy of answering my msgs even to say sorry don't combine postage.How much I paid for them is not relevant if they want to list them at 99c thats a chance they take,and really if I have to pay $27 postage defeats the purpose of getting them cheap.I am sure you like a bargain as well as the next person.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

It is commendable that you combine postage (as do I) but you should not hold all sellers to your own business methods.  You have no way of knowing their situation, or what their overheads and practices are.  They may charge a flat rate postage, using a swings and roundabouts method.  It is not what some sellers would do, but it is a legitimate business policy.  Most big box online stores either do not combine postage, or give a token discount only on subsequent purchases.  The time to ask about this is before you buy, not after.  If the listing doesn't address combined postage you should ask first. I personally would suggest you need to pay this time, and write it off as a lesson learned.  But the choice is yours and if you choose not to pay, the seller would not be unreasonable to use the Unpaid Item dispute after four days (lack of communication not withstanding).

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Hi, most sellers combine post. Most even do it without asking.

However not all do. Not having a go at you however assuming combined post is available is a rookie mistake. It takes 30 seconds to shoot off a message to ask if combined post is available before you buy. No reply then dont buy.

Regardless of starting price and selling price you cant buy then dispute the postage costs if its there in black and white.

In saying that your opinion of the transaction can be left in the sellers feedback. Sharing the fact they couldnt/wouldnt combine post would alert others before they buy. That is the purpose of the feedback system.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

I think you know you should not assume combined postage as a 'given', but what I don't like about your transaction is the fact the seller has not replied to your messages.

What did you say in the messages? Did you ask if they combine postage or did you ask for the revised postage? It could be that the seller doesn't wish to revise the price down but doesn't want to say that, so is sitting tight till the 4 days are up.

I don't like that at all. An efficient, competent seller is one who answers messages in a timely way so buyers know the score.

My understanding though is if the seller charges a separate postage for each item, he/she is not supposed to send all the items together in one package, they would all have to be posted off separately, so potentially the seller won't make any profit from doing it this way. They may as well have offered you a discount for one tracked parcel. That way you would be happier and they might make a bit more.

If you don't want the clothes now as the overall price is too dear, just don't pay.

But with feedback, I would mention the failure to answer messages rather than the failure to offer combined postage, as that is the main fault.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

@medalsbadgespatches wrote:

Hi, most sellers combine post. Most even do it without asking.

However not all do. Not having a go at you however assuming combined post is available is a rookie mistake. It takes 30 seconds to shoot off a message to ask if combined post is available before you buy. No reply then dont buy.

Regardless of starting price and selling price you cant buy then dispute the postage costs if its there in black and white.

In saying that your opinion of the transaction can be left in the sellers feedback. Sharing the fact they couldnt/wouldnt combine post would alert others before they buy. That is the purpose of the feedback system.

With over 4,000 feedback, I wouldn't exactly call the OP a rookie.........

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Sellers who combine postage usually say so in the listings as it encourages buyers to purchase another item, if they don't say it I would assume that they didn't and would always ask if I wasn't prepared to pay the full cost.

You should definitely pay for the items, if you want to be pedantic about it you can make 3 separate payments so they risk a claim for two of them (and pay 2 extra fixed fees to Paypal) if they do send them together but to not pay because you assumed something would be absolutely the wrong thing to do.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

It would be a pretty low act to give negative feedback to the seller because based on the fact they wouldn't combine postage..There is nothing in the sellers listing to say they do combine.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

I agree with what you are saying Harley, but the buyer would be within their rights to leave feedback saying "does not respond to comun ication " . Personally I would be paying for the items, leaving pretty ordinary Pos.  feedback such as " OK "  or " nice items but does not respond to communication  " and give them a one star rating for communication. This will give them a defect and is a moderate imposition, without absolutely caning them. Not combining postage is a legitimate, but not very friendly practice. Not communicating at all is bad form.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply