Sellers delaying resolution for faulty items beyond 30 days.

66pants
Community Member

I recently had a faulty item purchased from an overseas seller, who promised to re-send and of course it took me out past the 30 day limit for Ebay to help me with. I contacted the Ebay chat service and of course again, they advised to stay in contact and hopefully get a resolution. It never came and Ebay have wiped their hands of it.

The more people I have talked to about this problem, the more it seems people are faced with the same problem. Even Paypal are giving me the run around.

Is 30 days long enough and fair, given some items can take most of that period to arrive ? What rights do we have as buyers when all the advice seems to lead you down the path of months of to and fro ?

Love to hear other's experience with this one !

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Is this a seller in China with horrid feedback

Hugely common

Hugely common they give all the bs promises under the sun to 'fix things'

If you paid with paypal they give 180 days to file a dispute

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Yes, seller in China with 99.8% feedback so not too bad. The point is though, Ebay will only help you within 30 days of transaction, and because the seller has offered to re-send, it's not likely buyers will report the seller in that time frame.

As usual in Australia, we protect the villain and the innocent pay !

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

I believe you will find it is 30 days from the latest estimated delivery date.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Spent most of the morning debating that with Ebay, and it doesn't apply to returns or re-sends. This is where the problem is, and the smart Engrish sellers know this. Especially on items of lower value !

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

No savvy buyer would agree to a resend anyway.

Always ask for a refund.....you can always repay if the original item does turn up.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

There's always one....

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

ebay  have no legal jurisdiction in matters like this..they think they do but they do not, paypal obide by the law ebay don;t, if paypal say nothing can be done, then nothing can be done.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Paypal are on to it now so that's a good thing in this case. I guess the discussion is more about Ebay's 30 day policy. What I don't get is any other retailer is bound by Australia's consumer laws and like it or not, is does not matter who you purchase from, Ebay is the platform that we use and they should be protecting buyers for a minimum of 12 months just like any other retailer, with the exceptions of auctions.

Whether you're a "savvy" buyer or not, when agreements are made, both in writing and in good faith, Ebay has an obligation to ensure it's sellers abide by the agreement, and if not, revoke the sellers' right to use the platform.

30 days is a bunch of **bleep** !!

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

eBay is not a retailer only the advertising platform similarly to a classified newspaper.

You don't buy anything from eBay.

You don't go after the newspaper if an item you buy from the seller is faulty.

You go after the seller with consumer affairs behind you. And you have that option.

And as mentioned it's 30 days from last estimated delivery date so if a chinese seller's est delivery date is in 4 weeks which it often is then you have around 60 days.

image host
Message 10 of 27
Latest reply