Selling books that are not Brand New - twice!

Hi guys,

Just wanted your opinion on dealing with a seller that is selling books that are listed as 'Brand New' but there is obvious signs of wear when I receive. They told me that they have an actual shop where the books are on sale and so it must of happened here although they tried to put it on Australia Post at first.

I bought 2 books initially which were both marked and had creases on cover. They gave me 10% discount on both books. I then had to buy another book off them which I really didn't want to do but I was doing an online course and they are all the only place in Australia that stocks the books and I was in a hurry. The book has arrived with a big crease on the back, scuff marks and  and a small tear on the top corner and spine of the book. They were all listed as 'Brand New' and by Ebay's list of book conditions, I don't believe it is even 'Like New' although I have to say all the pages are in perfect condition. 

So, my question is  - Is 10% discount enough? In my dealings with them last time, I told them that they needed to read the Ebay specifications on new books before they sold but they obviously haven't listened....

Thanks....

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I doubt if they would be the only on line seller of any book, there are heaps of auction sites and facebook sellers. You accepted the 10% discount first time round and chose to buy from them again, you have two options, you can try and get another discount or you can open an item not as described dispute, other than feedback there is nothing more you can do.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

It is a very specific book - book depository said they had it and then it took 5 days for them to then say that actually they didn't....believe me, I looked for other sellers. 

Fair point, thank you

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Did you try having a look at the publisher's website?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Yeah, they're in the US and charge exorbitant fees to get books over here.....thanks though! Off to write a stern message to the seller! 

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply