Sent in paper envelope, damaged in post.

Hi, I recently bought a kaftan top, new without tags.  Seller offered free post, top still cost me $17.50, which I thought was reasonable.  It arrived in an Aust Post clear plastic bag, with advice it had been damaged in post.  Item was sent in paper envelope with a piece of cardboard (no plastic bag for protection) and 2 x $.60 stamps.  Item had become wet in post so envelope fell apart, item had water stains up both sides and front, the colour from stamps and cardboard had run into top, and colours on top had run.  I contacted seller via ebay email, and she basically said in reply "Too bad, not her responsibility, how can she forsee item getting wet", I waited for a few days, left neutral feedback then put in paypal claim "Item not as described".  They have found in my favour, but to get the full refund, I must send item back to seller at my cost, and pay for registered post with tracking, so I am out at least $7.20, probably more.  I understand it has to be sent back, but why are sellers penalised by having to pay return post, when item arrives not as described or damaged due to seller negligance.  I should be able to send back in same style seller sent to me, but if I did that I would be out of pocket for the whole amount instead of almost half, as no proof of postage.  Has anyone else had this experience.  I am thinking of just cancelling the paypal claim, and accepting my losses, I suppose I can still wear it around the yard or doing housework.  I rushed leaving neutral feedback, should have been negative.      

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

lemmayj
Community Member

Hard to believe she managed to send it with $1.20 stamps, it would have had to weigh less than 125g and be less than 2cm thick...

However, if you can keep it less than 2cm thick and less than 250g, you could post back as a registered letter for $5 ($1.80 letter + $3.20 registration)....

She must be very inexperienced to think that items gong via Australia Post don't get wet.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Problem with AP dropping 250gm parcel rate along with postalrise is the difference between letter rate and cheapest parcel rate is pushing seller sto send items as letters more often.

I do it, I seal in click lock bag then tape up a manilla folder as an envelope, would not trust a standard envelope. I am aware there is a greater risk of item getting damaged via machine sorting, On a cost effective only basis you are covered for a 1 in 4 loss rate (in my item value cases). Though in reality it is rare. But I do it with the full knowledge that if an item gets damaged i will refund straight away.

seller is at risk of item not received claim, a smarter buyer would bclaim that rather than received damaged, as there is no requirement to send it back obviously.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

For another example of exactly the same kind of damage...

Have a look at this Seller's ME page, after the heading that says "News Flash"

http://cgi3.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=kids_threads

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

BTW - that ME page is about 4 years old, maybe older.

It can be dated in general terms because it says the price of 500g Prepaid is $5.50

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

I noted that they magnanimously refund original postage cost, so the buyer only has to pay return postage.

Exactly as happens if the buyer opens a PP dispute.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

I've sent over 3,000 items as large letters in Australia Post B4 envelopes and haven't got any items damaged.

However I put my items in sealed plastic bags and put sticky tapes on glued parts of the envelopes. And I also make sure my envelopes can go through Australia Post large letter gauge easily. If it doesn't go through easily it will be sent as a parcel. Fortunately most of my items are so tiny (baby clothes) and go as large letters.

After I checked the listing of Kaftan dress I'm wondering how the seller folded 94cm long long sleeve dress to fit in B4 envelopes and keep under 2cm thick with a cardboard. I don't think I can. And also I don't think the envelope with dress and a cardboard won't be under 125g. Even if it's under 2cm thickness it should cost $1.80 not $1.20.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

I don't know how seller got away with it, but she did, must keep a book of stamps at home, no return address on envelope, so gets delivered, I think seller got away with it becasue there was cardboard in envelope to make look like documents.  I was surprised I was not hit for extra postage costs.  Yes, there was a note from Aust Post in plastic bag advising of damage.  Cardboard makes a mess when wet as well, the colours ran from it into top.  I was way too quick giving feedback, she has been awful to deal with.  I did give her one stars for all sections (except post as was free), but should have given neg as well, as her communication with me was unhelpful and rude.  She was very smug via email when she advised that Paypal contacted her and she is to refund full amount when I send top back AT MY COST.  I am still waiting on an email, or any advise from paypal advising what I must do.?:|  I will send back, as I have looked at top and I don't think I can fix the mess it is in from the stains and colours running as a result of her negligance.  I will be watching though if she does try to resell, as I have her saved in my sellers list, but she has been blocked on my list.  Thanks all, this really frustrates me, I try ot fix any problems that arise without the use of ebay or paypal, if my fault I wear it, not this seller, she takes no blame for anything.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply