Should I leave negative feedback before the case is resolved?

bullnutt
Community Member

Hi,

I bought an item that was described as being in "excellent" condition - it isn't, it's broken, and upon investigating the product, it has been inoperable forat least 3 years. The seller either didn't test the item before sale, or did test it and decided to ship a broken product anyway.

eBay have placed the case "on hold" for another five days.

Meanwhile, the seller has not responded to me, yet has listed two new items (and sold one) since.

My question is this: do I leave negative feedback now, or once the case has been resolved? I feel an obligation to warn buyers of his listed items of my experience, and that I don't believe this seller is trustworthy. However, I'm not sure if leaving negative feedback while a case is still open is either helpful to my case or advisable by eBay.

Any feedback on this will be great.

Cheers.

TLDR: Bought item, it's broken, seller won't co-operate, eBay delayed case, do I leave negative feedback now or once case has been resolved?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Should I leave negative feedback before the case is resolved?

I only leave feedback after a transaction is fully completed.

I think that would be the norm with most regular ebayers.

And sometimes it's better to wait a day or two after emotions have calmed, then leave fair and factual feedback.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply,

I received the broken item over a week ago. Emotions have calmed but as the case is being delayed by the seller and / or eBay, emotions aren't quite as calm anymore.

I don't like to leave negative feedback, ever, but as I said, I think that since he is happy to sell and ship while having a case of a broken item outstanding, his bidders might want to know I received an untested broken item from him.

Kind regards.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I understand but whilst it's noble and kind of you to consider others, your experience with the seller should be factual and based on the entire transaction. Others have the same protection and can open a case if need be.

It's possible it's ebay delaying the case and you may find all of a sudden it closes in your favour with a full refund without having to return item and a message from the seller apologizing. Just saying, better to wait IMO.

image host
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@bullnutt wrote:

I don't like to leave negative feedback, ever, but as I said, I think that since he is happy to sell and ship while having a case of a broken item outstanding, his bidders might want to know I received an untested broken item from him.

If that is the primary motivation, I personally can not argue against it.

I'm kinda choosing my words carefully, as I don't like to sway people one way or the other when it comes to FB, but if you're firm in your decision about the type of FB that will be left, regardless of the outcome of the case, then timing is all that's left to decide upon and I can see how that could be of benefit to other potential buyers. If the seller was responding and trying to help, I might think differently. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I understand but whilst it's noble and kind of you to consider others, your experience with the seller should be factual and based on the entire transaction. Others have the same protection and can open a case if need be.

It's possible it's ebay delaying the case and you may find all of a sudden it closes in your favour with a full refund without having to return item and a message from the seller apologizing. Just saying, better to wait IMO.

Normally, I would agree with you 100%, but if the seller is continuing to list but ignoring the case, that seems to me to be a deliberate choice, and indicative of how they might handle other problems with other buyers if they should occur.

I once purchased some items that were described as solid, fine silver. When I received them I found that they were actually plated. I contacted the seller, and we resolved it privately, and quite amicably, they seemed genuinely shocked and apologetic about it, so I left really good positive feedback after everything was settled, only to discover later that they contiued to list the same items as fine silver. ๐Ÿ˜ž They sold a ton of them and other buyers didn't seem to notice the problem, so I really wish I had left feedback that would have helped alert them. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Of course you should,be honest you dont need to wait.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I have always had the same philosophy with feedback: If a seller refunds a not as described complaint without me having to do anything other than provide a photo I will leave a pos but obviously mark down the description DSR.  If I have to open a dispute then it is a neut as long as I don't have to escalate. If I have to escalate or the seller wants me to pay for a return then it is a neg.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply