Should a working console but banned from being able to play online be labeled as "Used" ?

Should a working console but is banned from playing online, for example the PS3 console works but the PS3 is console banned, be labeled as "For parts or not working"  and not "Used" because used is when the item must be fully operational and functions as intended. Since the PS3 not being to play online means that it is not FULLY FUNCTIONAL ?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Should a working console but banned from being able to play online be labeled as "Used" ?

@ernarubis wrote:

Yeah. That's the main reason i decided to buy a PS3, to be able to play online. The seller stated in the Detailed item Info that it has Online Gaming Compatibility thats why i decided to buy it. He should have stated that it does not have a working Onling Gaming Compatibility, like other PS3 console sellers i have come across. If he had stated that it cannot play online i would have never purchased it 😕

Given that seller agreed to swap games for you,rarely even buys on ebay,offered to sell offline & had no idea re BUY IT NOW option disappearing when someone places a bid,I think your best option is to simply open a Paypal dispute now.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Caveat emptor?

It presumably works as a PS3, even though not online, so how was it advertised?

Buy a new one with the requisite warranties?

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Nope, it is fully functional.Some rule or law says it can't be used on line, but if it were legal, it has the capablilities to do so.

So I say used is OK - plus, I'm guessing it works just fine for regular off line ganes, doesn't it?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

While I don't think "for parts or not working" is quite the right category, the ban should should have been fully disclosed and as far as I'm concerned, if it wasn't the console is significantly not as described.

Edit: removed initial part of reply, but I stand by the remaining part of my post.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

What i think is that, yes the PS3 is functional since it can still play games but it is NOT FULLY operational and functions as intended because the "Online Gaming Compatibility" does not work as the console is banned.Being console banned is a defect as it limits the console on playing online. And also the PS3's Online Gaming Compatibility and being able to play online is one of the MOST SIGNIFICANT FUNCTION of a PS3.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

What I can tell you is this; it takes a hell of a lot of work to get a console banned; there are a few ways and here are two

1. The console has been opened and modified, or it's operating system subverted via a USB hack device

2. Previous owner was basically awful to people online, this is frowned upon

Sony will IP/Console address ban usually only in the first case...

So, yes this should be listed under used and in big capitals next to it "HAS BEEN BANNED FROM ONLINE, NO ONLINE PLAY"

We are a gaming household, my OH would lose his mind if he received this and couldn't play online. 

"Fully functional" is a bit of a stretch ...I'd stay away

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I recently bought a used PS3. It was labeled as "Used" and syays "Slightly used in very good condition. When i recieved the item, i found out it was console banned. The Seller did not mention that it was banned on the description. And also, in the detailed item info it stated that the PS3 has Online Gaming Compatibility, but since it has console banned, this function is not operational. Being able to play online was one of the reason i am buying a ps3. Can i get a refund or file a dispute for the item description not matching the item that i received?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@ernarubis wrote:

I recently bought a used PS3. It was labeled as "Used" and syays "Slightly used in very good condition. When i recieved the item, i found out it was console banned. The Seller did not mention that it was banned on the description. And also, in the detailed item info it stated that the PS3 has Online Gaming Compatibility, but since it has console banned, this function is not operational. Being able to play online was one of the reason i am buying a ps3. Can i get a refund or file a dispute for the item description not matching the item that i received?

If it's the one I looked at last night (came with games), I think opening a PayPal dispute for not as described is perfectly reasonable (it is misdescribed by omission - net capability is a standard function on all consoles, it is reasonable to expect a console to have this function unless otherwise stated). However, I think the first port of call should always be to contact the seller for a response. 

Keep in mind that the most likely outcome of a dispute (unless you can negotiate a different solution with the seller), is that you will need to return the entire contents (console and games) to the seller with full proof of post - signature on delivery etc). 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I have sent the seller messeges, but the seller has not yet replied. And i have also called eBay support for the contact details of the seller. If the seller does not reply in a couple of days, will a be allowed to open a paypal dispute for it ? And what if the seller ignores the dispute, what will happen then ?

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

If the seller does not reply in a reasonable amount of time, you can open a dispute with PayPal (this can pretty much be done at any time, but I would give the seller a day or two to respond first).

Opening the dispute will give the seller further chance to respond to your complaint and try to negotiate a resolution, but if the seller doesn't respond or you don't reach an agreement, you will need to escalate the dispute to a claim (within 20 days of opening the dispute, otherwise it will close in the seller's favour automatically). Once a dispute is escalated to a claim, PayPal will decide on the outcome based on the communication and evidence provided (during the dispute, if any communication / evidence was provided). 

If the seller doesn't respond to the dispute at all, or the claim is decided in your favour, PayPal will provide an address to return the items to (the seller's address). As mentioned, you will need to post the items back with full proof of post (so a signature on delivery option, or similar service that shows you posted them to the address provided by PayPal), then upload the proof of post to the dispute so that PayPal can verify you've returned the items. Once the seller has them back, you should receive a full refund of the original payment (but not return postage unless the seller gives it voluntarily). 

One other thing to be aware of is that if you return the items without being instructed to by PayPal, it can actually affect whether or not they provide a refund (even if you have proof of post). So, for your own safety and protection, it can be best to open a dispute / claim to get the official return address via PayPal. 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply