Sick of eBay

Sick of eBay, you get told items are in Sydney and they are in China. They use Australian post logos and give tracking numbers to make you think it is on the way. I will buy less on eBay from now on will be last on prospective buyers. Check every other avenue before buying on eBay. They have also become unavailable for redress just clicking boxes online going round and round in circles without getting an answer. Not going to buy anymore.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sick of eBay

Bye Bye.  You don't need to announce your departure

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

Good to hear

One less person to support sellers in China and complain about their choice 

ALL of your most recent feedback (and indeed, most of your feedback  in total is from sellers who clearly show as being registered in China

See ya

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

There are excellent sellers on eBay, but you must exercise due caution in choosing your sellers.

If youโ€™re buying items at a price considerably lower than RRP, thereโ€™s s good chance youโ€™re buying an unbranded item or a fake, coming from China. I rule out items that are too cheap. I also check where the seller is registered. (Click onto the sellerโ€™s feedback percentage, and you may need to click again (โ€œSee all feedbackโ€ or something of that sort), to see the page that shows country of registration.)

Donโ€™t buy from high volume sellers whose feedback is less than 99.5%.

On the feedback page you should be able to see all negative feedback over the last 12 months; see if thereโ€™s a particular repeating issue.

Even if the seller is registered in Australia, check feedback to minimise the risk of their dropshipping from China. Long delivery times or mentions of Chinese packaging in feedback will tell you of potential problems and false statements about item location.

If youโ€™re buying items where warranty is desirable, check that the seller is an authorised seller of that item.

I cannot emphasise enough that eBay is not a place where you can buy items at a huge discount. Genuine items cost what they cost. You can get some items as grey imports (and possibly save money), and there are sometimes special discount voucher codes (which can bring down the price by, say, 10%), but you should always, as an empor, do your due caveating

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

@countessalmirena wrote:

There are excellent sellers on eBay, but you must exercise due caution in choosing your sellers.

If youโ€™re buying items at a price considerably lower than RRP, thereโ€™s s good chance youโ€™re buying an unbranded item or a fake, coming from China. I rule out items that are too cheap. I also check where the seller is registered. (Click onto the sellerโ€™s feedback percentage, and you may need to click again (โ€œSee all feedbackโ€ or something of that sort), to see the page that shows country of registration.)

Donโ€™t buy from high volume sellers whose feedback is less than 99.5%.

On the feedback page you should be able to see all negative feedback over the last 12 months; see if thereโ€™s a particular repeating issue.

Even if the seller is registered in Australia, check feedback to minimise the risk of their dropshipping from China. Long delivery times or mentions of Chinese packaging in feedback will tell you of potential problems and false statements about item location.

If youโ€™re buying items where warranty is desirable, check that the seller is an authorised seller of that item.

I cannot emphasise enough that eBay is not a place where you can buy items at a huge discount. Genuine items cost what they cost. You can get some items as grey imports (and possibly save money), and there are sometimes special discount voucher codes (which can bring down the price by, say, 10%), but you should always, as an empor, do your due caveating

Not sure if you need to explain it to them,  they have being around for 20 years,  looking at their last few purchases, they love to buy from bad sellers.

So in reality we have a bad buyer supporting bad sellers.  They only have themselves to blame.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

Pay no attention to logos or flags or names that lead you to think it is an aussie seller.

Just click on the seller ID and go into the 'about' section to see where the seller is located.

Even if they are located in Aust, check out the expected date of delivery. If the item really is in Aust, it shouldn't be more than a 7-14 day delivery window. Then if the item doesn't arrive in time, you can open an ebay claim.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

Chinese sellers tend to use generic city names like "SYDNEY" "MELBOURNE" "DARWIN" etc. All in caps.

Look for sellers from specific locations like "Penshurst" "Broken Hill" "Moorabin" etc. They are more likely to be legitimate Aussie sellers.  

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

It's much easier to look at a seller's feedback to see where they are registered.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

I assumed the OP is using a phone.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Sick of eBay

@karen_karpet wrote:

I assumed the OP is using a phone.

You can still look at the feedback page and see where they are REGISTERED on the phone app.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply