So are we charged 3 times per purchase

jammmmy
Community Member

Are we now being charged a 3rd time for an import charge? I make a purchase in this instance from England, the item 30 pounds, another 15 pounds for the global shipping and now a third import charge, each a separate charge that will go through my credit card via PayPal, I can see extra charges coming I my credit card if every purchase I make this happens, this is ridiculous!!!!!!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The third charge would be GST.

So, if you buy through the GSP, yes there is a third charge. Otherwise there are two.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@jammmmy wrote:

Are we now being charged a 3rd time for an import charge? I make a purchase in this instance from England, the item 30 pounds, another 15 pounds for the global shipping and now a third import charge, each a separate charge that will go through my credit card via PayPal, I can see extra charges coming I my credit card if every purchase I make this happens, this is ridiculous!!!!!!

Global Shipping (Pitney Bowes) is a curse for buyers. Many sellers will chnge the auction or buy it now settings so the item gets sent via normal post. The problem is that with "Buy it now", the item can get snapped up before the seller can get back to you to confirm, or before the seller has read your message.

There are also so sellers who will not change the settings and that is for a range of reasons. Below is an example of a seller that WOULD NOT help even with me asking very nicely. Some people are By-the-book tunnel thinkers. Some just don't want to.

Global Shipping, the problems are never ending, everyone loses in the long run.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Global-Shipping-the-problems-are-never-ending-everyone-loses...

Here's another example below

My latest experience with the horrid Global Shipping which was hiding under a stone (so to speak)

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/My-latest-experience-with-the-horrid-Global-Shipping-which-w...

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

To reduce the number of charges per transaction, see if your seller will send by Royal Mail or another carrier. If you can avoid purchasing items that are sent via the GSP (Global Shipping Program), then there's no separate postage/shipping charge charged separately.

The GST (10% tax) is unavoidable, however, if you're buying on eBay from an international seller. You may find the items for which you're looking from UK sellers (own website, or with a shop at which you can contact them by phone or email) who have a lower annual turnover of sales to Australian customers than the $75,000 threshold at which GST must be collected - or, if you can't avoid that, you may still be able to buy from UK sellers who will process the transaction in one lot.

There are other selling platforms on which sellers may sell, but you'll have to see whether the seller is considered the supplier for the purposes of the GST, or whether the platform itself is considered the supplier for the purposes of the GST. If the former, the seller collects the GST and forwards it to the ATO (and does all the paperwork); if the latter, it's the platform who collects it, etc., and in that case the GST component may well be charged separately for ease of processing.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

jammmmy
Community Member

Let's hope we get another alternative to buying from overseas, like we have VPN to surf, maybe there will be another alternative start up over this **bleep**, they still need a second party to collect the tax so could be away for another enterprise to come in. Will see over the coming months I guess.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply