Some help please with a one off clothing item quickly relisted despite 2 bidders! A tad suss?

I'm feeling a tad suspicious about a listing titled Hell Bunny Off Shoulder Floral Dress. Ended yesterday. Whilst I was checking the manufacturer's website for sizing (no measurements in the scanty listing) the item ended. It had 2 bidders & was @ $16.50 with $15 postage. A one off; As are all clothing & shoes from this seller. Straight up there was a brand new listing; same item, size & same 2 pics.  

My original thoughts were give the dress a bid & hope it fits when it arrives; But now I'm very concerned about the bid pattern & quick relist. Maybe friends shill biddng? The auction end price for the discontinued style dress is well under the retail value.

Any thoughts from those who can check? I'm no good @ sleuthing this sort of stuff. Thanks in advance for any insights! (BTW - I'm still not sure the dress will fit!) EDIT dress is blue with floral print sz XL, possibly too big for me. 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Some help please with a one off clothing item quickly relisted despite 2 bidders! A tad suss?

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Me personally, I always bid in the last 2 seconds. Reason being, if you bid earlier, it gives someone else the opportunity to outbid you. If you leave it until the last 2 seconds, it doesn't give shillers the chance to up the anti.

That's true.

I don't seem to get anything much on auction these days as most things are Buy it now, but I remember never having confidence my computer would be fast enough to leave it to the last second. Or maybe I am just chicken hearted.Smiley Very Happy

Probably the closest i have ever left it is about 6 seconds. Even that was nerve wracking.

I have sometimes just put in my best bid an hour or two before the end of an auction & figured if I was outbid, so be it. I think that would cut out some shill bidders as they can't retract bids in the last few hours.

I've also used one of those outside bidding sites where I put in the details & they bid for me at the last second. Very convenient.

Of course, I can still only win if my bid is the highest but no chance of shilling.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Some help please with a one off clothing item quickly relisted despite 2 bidders! A tad suss?

Thanks everyone for your kind replies: I'm usually a few seconds left snipe bidder myself. So few auctions these days to hone the skills! 

There was just something I thought NQR about the quick relist w/ 2 different bidders on the dress. I'll take all your advice onboard & maybe ask seller nicely if she owns a tape measure & can please measure the dress? The problem is the brand has regular size items & plus size items in their range. All with just L XL & such tagging. My other thought was she didn't get the wanted price & relisted rather than sell? Once again; I'll help on these boards where I can but am no sleuth!

They are pretty dresses for all sizes; It's just that the sizing can be so variable within the brand name!  I'm regular size; Not plus size; So that was how the clock ran down for me on the auction. (I was searching for something else when I found the dress 20 mins from auction end time)

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply