Something I purchased had postage added to it,I made a mistake to commiting to it ,how do I change

rega.kat
Community Member

I committed to purchasing a slide for my grandchild but thought it was postage free.I need to change the order to a similier product that is postage free from the same seller  before I pay ,however seller says it's not possible Can I get advice on this ?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Something I purchased had postage added to it,I made a mistake to commiting to it ,how do I change

In your purchases menu - it there a drop down menu against the item on the right hand side which includes "cancel order" ?

If you have not paid, there is no reason I can see that the seller would be unwilling to cancel the order if requested, particularly as you want to buy a similar item from the same seller.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

How much is the difference in price between the two items?

Free postage means that the seller has included the postage in the item price instead of the postage price showing separately.

Compare the total cost of the two items....you may find that they are almost the same total cost.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

There's no such thing as "free shipping".

It's either built into the price of the item, or subsidised by other items in the shop which are sold at a higher price point.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

You say you thought it was free (I am surprised something like a slide would be 'free postage' or postage at all for that matter (courier or pick up yes)

But did you think it was free or did it SAY free ? 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@rega.kat wrote:

I committed to purchasing a slide for my grandchild but thought it was postage free.I need to change the order to a similier product that is postage free from the same seller  before I pay ,however seller says it's not possible Can I get advice on this ?

The seller can't really switch the order, but could allow you to cancel it. If he did that, you could then go ahead and purchase the slide you want.

It is a slight risk for a seller though as you may decide not to purchase at all, or to then purchase from someone else.

If the total price difference is not much, it may be better to go ahead with the present purchase.

But-if the slide, with postage, is coming to quite a bit more than you wanted to pay, perhaps apologise to the seller and explain you can't go ahead and why. Although buyers are supposed to carr through on purchases, in reality, no one can force you to pay. You don't have to go ahead.

Be aware though that that particular seller may block you from bidding on any more of his items. You would need to be prepared to buy elsewhere.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Are you using a mobile app by any chance? 

There's a few circumstances in which an item will incorrectly display as free postage in search results, but actually does have postage added, especially on mobile apps, and / or if the sellers uses a postage option called rate tables, which is very common for sellers of large items that need to go by freight (i.e.non Aus Post couriers). I'm assuming the slide is a large item, but if it's not then the following may not apply.

Rates tables allow the seller to set multiple different postage rates to different locations, based on what the courier company charge for delivery, which can vary a lot even in the same state, between metro and regional areas etc. 

Some sellers are able to have free local delivery, but charge shipping to other areas, and in that case for some reason eBay displays "free postage" in search, then will display postage costs when you look at the listing (it can be easily overlooked, though). 

That means it's possible the other free post item wouldn't actually be free post to you (which I mention / suggest because that could be the reason why the seller said it's not possible to swap for the other item). 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I want to correct myself 🙂

the option is actually under the "contact seller" button:

Select a topic

I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message (0)

I didn’t receive my item (2)

I need to return my item (1)

I received an item that wasn't as described (1)

Request to cancel this order (1)

We'll look for an answer for you
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

There actually is free shipping,it's mainly on auction listings that start at $0.99 with free shipping.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply