Something every ebay buyer needs to know

Hello Everyone,

I am a seller on ebay, but I am also a frequent ebay buyer and I have found that when I type a product detail I am looking for into the ebay search line "Search for anything", the ebay system automatically goes to the "Best Match" sort setting. 

I find the "Best Match" results to be misleading and appear to be driven by an advertising premium that a seller is prepared to pay ebay, rather than the ebay computer system finding the best deal for ME.

For example, if one types Spirax 550 into the ebay search line "Search for anything", my listing of that product at a price of $4.95 + Postage of $5.00 = $9.95 comes up automatically as the 14th listing in ebay's Best Match. 

When I change the sort box to "Price + Postage : lowest first" my listing rockets up to first place on the list.

Every Spirax 550 is identical, so why does ebay's Best Match not automatically list my listing at the top of the selection?

This is just one example. I have just checked 50 on my listings and 47 of the 50 had the same result, moving from as low as 30th to 1st place when changing the sort option to "Price + Postage : lowest first".

As a buyer, when you type a product detail you are looking for into the ebay search line "Search for anything", I would suggest that you always immediately reset or change the sort box to "Price + Postage : lowest first", so that YOU get the best deal.

As an ebay seller, I thank you for supporting us (ebay sellers).

Cheers

Noel

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I had to go and have a look what a Spirax 550 was. 

As for the default Best Match search, when you use a computer, you can change the search method to whatever you like (e.g ending soonest, price + postage lowest) and it will save that search while you are logged in (it defaults back to Best Match if you search while logged out). However, if you are searching via the app, it always defaults to Best Match EVERY SINGLE TIME you search. If I search for screw drivers, it will show as Best Match and I'll change it to lowest price. If I then decide to search for a dress, it will have defaulted to Best Match and I have to change it again.

That would be a right royal pain.

I'm always using a computer so i have time ending soonest as my default but I get annoyed sometimes when I go to the left & tick Australia only and that only lasts a while till I do a new search and poof, it's gone. Still better than etsy mind you. I hate that site as I haven't figured out a way to set it at Australia only without it defaulting back to world wide after just about every click.Smiley Sad

I never use best match, must admit.

PS A spirax 500 is a computer? I get more behind the times every minute. I just assumed it was some sort of spiral binder.Smiley Frustrated

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

The Spirax 550 in question is a Telephone message book with a spiral wire binding.....the OP sells stationary.

Message 22 of 23
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I had to go and have a look what a Spirax 550 was. 

As for the default Best Match search, when you use a computer, you can change the search method to whatever you like (e.g ending soonest, price + postage lowest) and it will save that search while you are logged in (it defaults back to Best Match if you search while logged out). However, if you are searching via the app, it always defaults to Best Match EVERY SINGLE TIME you search. If I search for screw drivers, it will show as Best Match and I'll change it to lowest price. If I then decide to search for a dress, it will have defaulted to Best Match and I have to change it again.

the OPs gripe with Best Match is that it does not display the items he is selling ahead of higher priced competitor’s items.  His hang up is that in his eyes if his lowest priced items are not displayed in position #1 on a Best Match search result then the results are not displaying the best match for consumers.

He is not thinking of “Best Match” (the search name) as simply a trade name but reading it in it’s literal sense.

He is also demanding that eBay remove Best Match search

Message 23 of 23
Latest reply