Stole item

natha_jesso
Community Member

I recently have a an item say it was delivered. It was left in clear view of the road and footpath and the courier never made contact with anyone that was home at the time. However when I got the notification to say it was delivered it was taken.

Screenshot_20211030-060345_eBay.jpg

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Stole item

@ambercat16 wrote:

Dunno where you get your info from but in my case, it's the capital city GPO that offers the services, not an LPO or a small PO.

Do you have PO Box plus? i.e. The paid "upgrade" that allows a certain number of B2C deliveries from couriers a year? If so, every post office with PO boxes offers that (AFAIK).

But, some POs will give individual customers - many who don't hold a PO box at all - permission just to provide the address of the PO for deliveries from couriers, but I can't imagine it would be common practice for a large city PO. 

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

Re leaving parcels at the front door.

But I don't want couriers to leave parcels at the front door! 

My front door is only 3 metres from the public footpath.  Aside from the fact that I have difficulty retrieving parcels from the steps at the front door as parcels left there are too low for me to reach, my delivery instructions are clear and concise about where my safe drop place is.....and it is easy to get to as well.  Couriers is seems just can't be bothered.

Aust Post are not perfect but in my area they are definitely better than the couriers I've encountered.....with the exception of Toll who followed my delivery instructions to the letter.  Needless to say that was not an eBay purchase..

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

Agreed.

But on the Ring advert it shows the homeowner getting a message while away from home.  It lets the courier think someone in in the house but there's no saying a thief will believe it as it only takes seconds to steal a parcel.  I'm just saying there's no perfect solution for buyers waiting for parcels....not even Ring.  Catching the thief is a possibility though if the police get the footage.

BTW I think my neighbours have installed Ring.  They both work and probably locally judging by the time between a delivery and  how long it takes for one of them to drive home.  It's still not quick enough if someone else sees the package and helps themselves to it!

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

I've never come across a post office that provides that level of service.  You have a real gem there!

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

I have had quite a few parcels stolen from my front door. Some in under a minute of being dropped. Like Zanadoo_56, my front door is very accessible from the footpath. Anyone can swoop in and grab something very easily. Yet, AP still see it as being a "safe place".

I couldn't afford a PO box, so I am now using Parcel Collect. It means all my parcels go to the post office, and I get a notification through My Post that it's there to be collected. Or, the postmaster's wife gives me a call (she knows me). I also believe we have recently got parcel lockers in my area, so that's another option for me.

Obviously, that is no good for courier deliveries, but worth mentioning for deliveries that you know are coming via Australia Post.

As a side note, my most recent delivery to my door, my national bowel screening kit, sat there for 8 hours and didn't get stolen!!! I saw it when I checked my CCTV cameras in the morning, and was surprised it was still there when I got home from work. Maybe the local thieves weren't interesting in poking their poo with a stick 😄 😄 😄 

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

@digital*ghost wrote:

@ambercat16 wrote:

Dunno where you get your info from but in my case, it's the capital city GPO that offers the services, not an LPO or a small PO.

Do you have PO Box plus? i.e. The paid "upgrade" that allows a certain number of B2C deliveries from couriers a year? If so, every post office with PO boxes offers that (AFAIK).

But, some POs will give individual customers - many who don't hold a PO box at all - permission just to provide the address of the PO for deliveries from couriers, but I can't imagine it would be common practice for a large city PO. 

I was offered the service about a year ago - free but I guess they might start charging for it.  As far as I know there isn't a limit of deliveries, but I have only used it once😁.  Could be related to the fact that I have had this box number for probably around 30 years, I dunno.  I'm not sure how many customers would have been offered the service, but hasten to add that the Darwin GPO is relatively small in the scheme of things.   

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

@ambercat16 wrote:

I was offered the service about a year ago - free but I guess they might start charging for it. 

That's better than I got, lol - there was an introductory rate at my PO, if memory serves it was a cheap price for a short trial period, but officially the annual cost is an extra $24 for up to 50 courier deliveries to non-business holders, which isn't too bad considering the rate they would charge other couriers to accept individual PO box deliveries from them (hence why PO's just allowing deliveries from couriers without any other paid service being so unusual). 

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Stole item

The safe drop options that Aust Post allows irk me no end.  Front door, side door of house, garage, carport etc....but NOT the BACK DOOR!

There are plenty of houses in my street  where the carports are so open there's nowhere to hide anything.  There's garages of course - usually kept closed and some even behind closed gates.  AP doesn't want to deliver in closed backyards - hard to keep an eye on the van and the resident might have a dog.  They have the option to override the customer's requested 'approved site' anyway, if they think it isn't safe or there's a dog.

My backyard is completely open, and there's no dog but my safe drop place is hidden by a wheelie bin and tall shrubs.  Of course I put the details on the parcels, but I have also suggested to Aust Post that the back door be included as an option for MyPost customers to nominate.  Of course they have ignored it despite several requests on my part.  NONE of their current suggested places are safe at my address.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply