Thumbnail image size too big - Another stupid idea from UI design team?

I noticed that from today the thumbnail image size in search results (& possibly other pages) has gotten bigger than before (seems like 4 times bigger), meaning less items shown on page at any one time. If you are on a XGA LCD screen you may only see 4-5 results per page, and ready to scroll and scroll to see more. Everything is now so spaced out that it's such a pain to scroll through & compare a list of items in a page, unless of course your screen is capable of 8000x6000 pixels' resolution or more, that's probably what the design team in ebay are using otherwise they won't blow up the thumbnail to this scale thinking everyone else will be happy to see larger picture at the cost of more scrolling & clicking.

I guess many people want to browse through a list of items as quickly as possible and personally I don't mind a smaller thumbnail if I see something I like I will open up a new tab for that item and keep on browsing the list. I don't think trading a larger thumbnail with more scrolling is a cleaver idea at all. It just cause more pain to scroll.

By the way I have tried customizing the view but it always return the large format even I chose to view in medium and small format.

Just another ebay's innovation that's completely useless and non user-friendly. I would have fired the design team and UI team long ago if this is what we call User Experience. Or is it just me complaining about ebay's changes in the last couple of years?

I know this change had been implemented in some other ebay sites already but is it really a good change?  What's your opinion?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I've just checked some of my saved searches, and found no change to the number of items per page, even with the nice big thumbnails.  This is probably because I always choose, when setting up an advanced search, to see 200 items per page.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

i like it, so much easier to see what it actually is; it will save me the trouble of clicking on items that are not what I want.  I also still have whole long list. just have to scroll bit more.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Yep, the thumbnail size change I can live with. However, they've also changed another aspect of search results. When searching Newly Listed or Ending Soonest, only some of the items actually tell you when they were listed or how long there is left to go. I really don't like this change at all. It should be the same for all items.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

I love, it, but then I am almost blind...B-)

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

The Buy Now items do not show time left or listed time only auctions do, still have 50 showing to a page as that is the setting I have it on.

I like the bigger pics.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

If you just set it up to scroll automatically it really makes no difference and I have the view set to 200 per page.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

I think larger thumbnail is fabulous :-x

As a buyer and as a seller

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Doesn't worry me.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

I consider it a step backwards. Looks way too big for me @ 1920x1080. What resolution is everyone else using?

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply