Tracking shows parcel 'delivered' and signed for but not by me and I haven't received it

Technically I didn't order from ebay, but you guys are probably the most knowledgeable about the situation. Anyway, I ordered some stuff from a well-known website that maybe you can Catch sometime. One parcel was sent directly from them and one sent from elsewhere, both had the exact same address on the order.

I got the first parcel just fine, sent through Australia Post had to sign for it. The second one however, I never got and when I checked the tracking it showed 'delivered' even though I hadn't received it and had been in the office all day. I checked with AP customer support who have said that the item was signed for by a name I don't recognise - it's not me and there's no one with the initial or the surname given in this office, so my question is what do I do from here? Do AP only have to get any signature and then bad luck if it's not you? Or can I query them handing the parcel over to someone who isn't me if I haven't received it?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Tracking shows parcel 'delivered' and signed for but not by me and I haven't received it

AP does not have to hand the parcel over to you personally if it is only a regular signature required service. They can just hand it over to anyone at the address. From your message, it sounds like you sent the parcel to your work place. It is going to be hard to prove that AP did not deliver the parcel to the correct address and hand it over to someone there.

I think you are at the mercy of AP. I'd suggest to call them and ask for proof that they had delivered it to the correct address first and take it from there.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

They can have a list of employees that work in the office if they want it, none of which even have the first initial that was recorded as the signature. It's also a secure office, so they'd have to be let in by someone here before it was signed for at this address and that didn't happen. I was here at the time it was supposedly delivered.

It's super weird because we have two normal AP guys that know me and know the receptionist and we've had no issue previously.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

My place of employ had a similar issue about eighteen months ago - sent a consignment of goods to a customer, customer rings to say they didn't receive it. Freight company's tracking shows it was delivered to the correct address and signed for; customer says there's no-one of that name at their company.

To add to the puzzle, the exact thing had happened with an earlier consignment of goods to that customer, from a different supplier (not us), but the same freight company. 

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

I got 3 parcels delivered this morning. I was expecting 3 parcels. Opened 2 of them no problems, then went to open the third and realised it wasn't for me. I live at number 24, the parcel was for number 27. It was an SOD parcel. Mr Tippy signed for them and didn't notice until the delivery driver drove off.......after he'd stood there chatting to the driver for 10 minutes. 

I will drop it up to the person when I go out later, but it's easy to see now how things can show as being delivered and signed for, but not be in the hands of the person they are addressed to. I'm actually surprised the driver didn't come back because he would have scanned the parcel into the van this morning. After he'd been here, his scanner should have said the next delivery is for number 27. Yet there would have been no parcel for number 27.

They're normally pretty good around here with deliveries, but I guess anyone can have an off day. Doesn't help the poor person who is waiting for their parcel that never arrives.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Makes you think it might be the company or delivery person just signing off on things and leaving them wherever!
Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

I'm presuming that might be what happened. The 'delivered' suburb is correct, so maybe it just ended up somewhere around here in the wrong hands similar to your situation. According to AP they'll take 10 days to investigate so I guess I'll just leave it with them.
Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Trouble is, they get a signature, so as far as they're concerned, they've done their job. Our delivery bloke has been doing it awhile, so not sure what went wrong today.

Re the 10 days, they say it takes that long, but no idea why. On day 11 you'll get a phone call saying they couldn't find it (I had several updating phone calls over the 10 days). My parcel was insured, so they sent a money order for the insured amount plus postage (as far as I know the parcel arrived but was never scanned as delivered, so I opened an enquiry in case it hadn't arrived and the buyer contacted me saying as much. Never heard from the buyer so assumed they had received it, but it was never scanned or signed for).

I don't know if they ever do find lost parcels or not. I have no idea where they end up. I doubt a delivery driver is going to admit they had an oops, it could cost them their job. Mr Tippy had an INR a few weeks ago. The seller sent it untracked. He abused Mr Tippy when he contacted him to say it hadn't arrived, but was willing to leave it another week to see if it did. After they tirade of abuse from the seller, I told him to open a dispute (although I actually did it).

I told the seller that as it was sent untracked he would lose the dispute and if I escalated it, he would get a defect on his account. I think he thought with Mr Tippy's feedback of about 15, he could pull the wool over his eyes. After some more abuse he refunded and the dispute was closed. Then I got even more abuse, even though the whole time I was trying to explain different things about selling and posting to him. I ended up giving up. I can understand he was out the item and the money, but that's not my fault. It got lost somewhere and neither of us knew how or where.

I have no idea where untracked items end up. Are they delivered to the wrong address, have they fallen through the bag into the bottom of the red box, or has the bag not been sealed properly and they fall under the seat of the van? I guess we'll never know.

I always hand deliver mail that doesn't belong to me, but I don't think everyone is that honest. The parcel that came today came from "epharmacy", so it could be easy to assume there is medication/drugs of some kind in there, tempting someone else to open it. I like not being that kind of person. If there is no-one home when I take it up, I won't leave it there, I'll take it back later.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Startrack came back this morning to collect the parcel they misdelivered here. It must have showed up in their system. I told them I had tried to deliver it, but the person wasn't home, so was going to try again today. They happily took it back and scanned it back into the system so the customer can sign for it when they receive it. 

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

That's how it should be when a parcel is misdelivered. It's not always like that; one thing that most impressed me in my Time Management course was that the world doesn't run according to "should", and that if I expected it to, I'd cause myself a lot of frustration.

specialdelivery.gif

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply