Trying to get refund through eBay or paypal

I recently purchased an item and today I asked the seller when I could pick up. She stated she sold the item 6 months ago and she doesn't know how I found the auction. Obviously I've told her it will still listed for sale. I asked her if she could refund my money and she said she didn't know how and as I've paid through PayPal she has also said she lost access to that account a year ago.

I then proceeded to contact eBay customer support who read through the messages I exchanged with the seller through eBay. She said that my payment is pending as the seller doesn't meet the requirements for selling. I was told to contact PayPal to cancel my payment.

Here's the issue:

PayPal opened a dispute for me. The seller tried to cancel the payment through eBay for me but she couldn't because of the dispute. Also, because she doesn't have access to her PayPal how am I to get a response? Do I follow through with the PayPal resolution centre or try to go through eBay once I'm eligible for the money back guarantee. I'm so confused this hasn't happened before. Any advice would be great thank you!
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If PayPal have opened a case then follow that through.

With no response to the case in PayPal from the seller, PayPal will refund but they are required to give the seller some days to respond as they cannot take your word for it alone.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If PayPal have opened a case then follow that through.

With no response to the case in PayPal from the seller, PayPal will refund but they are required to give the seller some days to respond as they cannot take your word for it alone.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Okay thank you very much!
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I don't think you will have a problem. I once had to open a paypal claim for a refund from a company that had gone into receivership.

I was told I had to wait a week for them to respond. Obviously they weren't going to, their website didn't even exist any more.

But at the end of that week, I couldn't just leave it, I had to close it and claim. I got my money refunded, no problem.So if a case is already open, that's what you can do. If the other person hasn't responded, you will win and be able to claim money back.

-------------

I am a bit puzzled by something though. Normally (for me in the past) if a paypal payment was pending, it meant that it had not gone into the other person's account (if the little eggtimer icon was showing). That usually meant there was some problem with their account or they had not accepted payment.

In those cases, if you go straight into your paypal account, you should be able to cancel that paypal payment yourself.

Also, from what I have read in the forums, I think if you have opened a paypal claim about an item, if things don't work out, you can't then open a claim for that same thing in ebay.

You can do it in the opposite direction, open ebay claim then later a paypal one but not paypal then ebay.

So make sure you keep tabs on this paypal claim and finalise it in a week.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply