Trying to return item, think I've been scammed.

amy-2609
Community Member

Back in April, I bought a set of collectibles for $120. When they arrived, they were clearly bootlegs, and broken ones at that. I contacted the seller, and we agreed that I would recieve a full refund (including shipping costs), after I returned the item.

I asked eBay what was the best approach, and they said that because I'd opened a case I was covered by them for costs etc, and I should return the item. If the seller didn't pay up, then eBay would step in and get the payment (I have all this saved in emails).

It's been over a month since I sent back the item. The case has automatically closed, so now eBay is like "sorry, you're over the amount of days to have a case, not our problem). And the item is still in transit, but because it's in China, now I am worried that the tracking number just wasn't checked, and the seller now has the item.

Just --- I'm incredibly frustrated, because I've been dicked around by this seller AND eBay. I've filed a report with the police, but not sure how that will go. Any advice, or similar experiences?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Trying to return item, think I've been scammed.

Hello Amy.

Please give it some more time. I know it's been over a month but it takes that long. I've had the same experience, Ebay rejected my claim because I was over their 'time limit' and automatically closed down my request .Woman Frustrated The sellers get 100s of returns, emails, etc. so one has to be patient.  Very, very frustrating, though. Hope you get results soon.  

Regards Marian.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I definitely agree with little puss, just try to be patient as these things do take time. Everything is a lesson and I think you know now to take a bit more care when buying collectibles.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

That does put me at ease. When I tried searching for "item in transit over a month" all the responses were people complaining that people in China take advantage of the lax tracking service, and receive items without paying. But, I'm going to trust what you've said and try to have an optimistic outlook here. Fingers crossed.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

amy-2609 wrote:t will go. Any advice, or similar experiences?

It's been over a month since I sent back the item. The case has automatically closed, so now eBay is like "sorry, you're over the amount of days to have a case, not our problem). And the item is still in transit, but because it's in China, now I am worried that the tracking number just wasn't checked, and the seller now has the item.

Just --- I'm incredibly frustrated, because I've been dicked around by this seller AND eBay. I've filed a report with the police, but not sure how tha

What does the tracking number say?  Is it still in transit or does it show that the seller has received it?

Did you actually open a dispute through ebay?  It sounds as though you did not if ebay is saying you are out of time.

As for waiting any longer....what is that going to achieve?  Chinese sellers are experts at delaying things until you run out of time and it sounds as if that is exactly what has happened to you.

If ebay says you have run out of time you need to start looking at some other way to get your money back?

Did you fund your paypal payment with a credit card or Visa debit card?  If so, check with your bank about starting a chargeback.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Tracking number says the package has arrived in China, and has been in transit for over a month.

I opened a dispute with eBay, twice, to ensure that this case wouldn't close (because they're only open for a month). Plus I emailed eBay customer support many times, and many different people assured me that I was covered, that I would be fine because I'd contacted them etc. Until today, when the case closed, and some new person pretty much wiped their hands of me and told me to go to the police.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

You can't open a dispute twice for the same item.   You can't even open a dispute in ebay and then change your mind and open one in paypal.

A dispute stays open as long as is necessary for ebay to make their decision...it does not close in a month.  Where did you get that idea?

This whole thing seems to be a bit of a dog's breakfast....about the only thing that I can see now is starting a chargeback if you funded the payment with a credit card or visa debit card.

Going to the police will not get your money bck if the seller is in China.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply