Unauthorized use of your account -- action required

Ebay changed my password because 'We have reason to believe that your eBay account has been used fraudulently without your permission' but nothing about my account is any different. No listings were put up, nothing was watched and nothing changed. What criteria do they go by to decide my account was used?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

How do you know? As in, was it an email from 'ebay' (aka scamming hacker) or a legit message from the real ebay that was in your ebay messages when you signed in to your account?

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Legit message from ebay. My password was changed and it was in my account inbox.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I'm not sure how they tell or what they base it on

Had you used any different devices or public wifi than usual to use ebay recently? 

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Nope! Same computer, same internet connection and everything. I was happily browsing stuff just last night and then I got that message this afternoon but can't see any anomaly or what might have triggered it. 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Did you receive it through your ebay account or did it appear in your email account?

If you haven't received it through ebay then it's fake.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

eBay don't change your password they put a hold on accounts with sus activity if anthing.

If you only got it as an email and not an eBay messages as well, then it's a fake.

And if you clicked on links you will need to change passwords and run virus scans.

image host
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

OP has said up thread it was in the account in box Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

That is what I thought sounded NQR as well, ebay changing the password 

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Apparently they do change your password because it literally just happened to me and as I said above it was in my ebay inbox as well.

There were also no links at all, just instructions to go to ebay and use the 'forgot password' to reset my password.

Below from ebay.com:

We have reason to believe that your eBay account has been used fraudulently without your permission. We’ve reset your eBay password. Any unauthorized activity, such as buying or selling, has been canceled and any associated fees have been credited to your account. Any listings that we removed are included toward the end of this email. We assure you that your financial information is securely stored on a server and cannot be seen by anyone.

Although we’ve taken steps to secure your eBay account, your personal email account or third-party listing tools may have also been accessed without your permission. Please change these passwords as soon as possible.

Once you’ve secured your personal email account and third-party listing tools, please change your eBay password:

1. Select the Sign in link at the top of the eBay home page.
  2. Select the Forgot your password link.
  3. Enter your email or username, and then select the Next button.
  4. Follow the instructions to change your password.
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply