Underpaid postage and feeling guilty.

Ok, so I am one of those people who feels guilty when a seller has charged me significantly less postage than was required to send the item. I received some photos today that I was charged only $5.30 to ship from the US, but cost the seller $9.45. Would anyone else in this situation consider sending the seller a gift payment of the difference through paypal?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Underpaid postage and feeling guilty.

He may have built some of the postage costs into the listing price, do you think?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

If you feel guilty enough to ask, you must be feeling guilty :)...if it will make you feel better send the extra to the same Paypal address you sent the first payment. The email will be in your Paypal receipt.

If they were a nice friendly seller, and you think they packed it with care, I'd give them the extra.

Also send them an email to say you have so they know what the payment is for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

How admirable! I've often felt the same, & sent extra for postage via Paypal, with a polite note, never to get even a "Thanks" which kind of sours the thought of a kind gesture for me.

At one time I won a cash on pickup auction reasonably cheaply & found it hard to arrange a time when the seller would be home, she stated a sick child who had been in hospital. Silly me turned up with twice the bid amount, plus an age appropriate good quality toy for the child from my daughter's ebay stock, only to have the item shoved at me, an "I've no change" for the cash - which I told her to keep, & no Thanks for the kiddie's gift before the front door was closed in my face!

I think it noble that you are worried about the seller, but from sad experience I wonder if the seller is at all concerned. As mentioned above, some of the postage component may have been built into the item price & the seller very happy with the sale.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I've sent extra funds as a gift a few times, usually if I've won an auction cheaply from a casual seller and/or postage (or total price) would barely have covered their costs. Only one person never acknowledged it, the rest were very happy and sent me messages to say thanks (not that I do it for the thanks lol, and while if I were the seller, I would never expect it if I'd undercharged, sometimes it just seems like the thing to do).

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

do it

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I did end up sending the funds through, and I doubt I will receive a thank you message as I never have done previously - this isn't the first time I've sent through funds. I realise we don't do these things in order to receive thanks, but I will admit that I find it impolite. Still, this is more about feeling like I have treated others in a respectful manner.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I am a seller and very often refund anything over a few bucks more than the postage costs because every bit helps right. I dont think i have ever got a thank you for refunding though which irks me a little.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I need to refund frequently as a seller because multiples don't work well with the calculator - I need to make sure 3 or 4 works but then 2 is too much. After I refund I also send a message and probably get a thank you 2 out of 3 times, or it is mentioned in their feedback. I think I would also do it if I underpaid as a buyer, unless I thought it was subsidised in the item cost. It's just the right thing to do!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply