.Unfair postage

hytiteto
Community Member

I have purchased 18 wigs from a seller who split the order into 2 separate orders then charged me postage $78 U.S for 10 wigs and $74 Euro for the last 8. I then receive all 18 wigs in one parcel from Beijing china with the seller being charged 490.00 yuan postage.I have requested refund of some of my money but the seller is saying that I am cheating them. All up I have paid $199.91 Aud for postage of a bag weighing in at 2902 grams.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: .Unfair postage

@hytiteto wrote:

I have purchased 18 wigs from a seller who split the order into 2 separate orders then charged me postage $78 U.S for 10 wigs and $74 Euro for the last 8. I then receive all 18 wigs in one parcel from Beijing china with the seller being charged 490.00 yuan postage.I have requested refund of some of my money but the seller is saying that I am cheating them. All up I have paid $199.91 Aud for postage of a bag weighing in at 2902 grams.

OP others may think it is ok to be ripped off $100s of dollars for post - lol - but they only apply ebay policy as suits them to admonish OPs-  as I suggested open an item not as described via paypal if you paid that way.  Detail that two separate payments were made, including significant amounts for two separate post amounts, and that you are seeking a partial refund for one of the post charges, as the goods and post provided are not as described according to invoices issued and paid for in two payments, and the goods were not posted in accordance with paypal policy - which you of course assumed they would be, or you would have tried to negotiate a lower post price for one parcel only.   

I have had success a few years ago with post pirate sellers that all issued partial refunds when the matter was escalated to a paypal dispute.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You knew the total cost of the items and postage before you bought them, and presumably that price was acceptable to you or you wouldn't have gone ahead. So what is unfair?

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The fact that you have been charged postage in US$ and Euros indicates that you have bought the wigs in both currencies.  The seller has no option but to send invoices in both currencies.

If the postage was reasonable on each separate package you have no cause for complaint.

The seller has made a mistake in sending them all in one parcel but it is hardly earth shattering and surely more convenient for you to get one parcel instead of two.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

This is what is wrong with ebay you buy you pay then after you get items do you wont to winge and moan about  prices being too dear or postage too expensive why did you bid and buy it if you dont like the price go elsewhere and dont whinge about it sick hearing about it.No body forces you to bid or buy

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

490 CNY = 83.25 AUD

You've paid $AU 6.48 handling for each item.

Sellers are allowed to include packaging and handling in their postage price, the postage price isn't necessarily just what it costs to post.

Did the seller send the items by the method that they stated in their listing?

They would have had no choice but to invoice you seperately because of the two different currecies.

I don't know if there would have been a difference in price had the parcels been shipped seperately, but remember that a seller is not obliged to ship the parcel by the cheapest method or to discount postage. Combined postage does not mean discounted postage.

Were you aware of the postage costs and handling charges before you committed to buy? (I think you may have been)

However, I do believe that you may have recourse, but as you knew the postage and handling costs before committing to buy and you did receive everything that you purchased, assuming the seller sent the items in the method that they informed you then, those avenues would, in my opinion, be unethical.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I'd be extemely annoyed too.  Post piracy is never excusable, it is against ebay policy and it is a low act IMO.

I would open an paypal claim seeking a partial reimbursement for the total post costs paid for the contents of one of your invoices. as the seller is unable to provide two seperate proof of post details if they posted the two lots together, then you may have a slim chance of getting a partial refund. 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

They can, however, provide proof of postage for both sets.

Or simply refer to this board, where the buyer has admitted receipt. So an INR, the only scenario available in this instance, would be fraud. Are you really advocating that?

Did you read crikey's post. The one where it seems the piracy is, at most, about $13. Hardly piracy when it's a very small percentage between charged and paid.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Ran out of edit time.

As others have said - different currencies mandate separate payments. No ifs or buts.

If postage costs were stated upfront, OP knew what they were paying and has no grounds whatsoever.

If I list something as $1 with $19 postage am I a pirate? If everybody else is listing $20 'free' postage? The only difference is eBay's fees, which make no difference whatsoever to the buyer's cost, and everybody who posts here is quite happy to sink the slipper into eBay for their fees. So, presumably fee avoidance is okay.

Picking particular circumstances of an issue to make a stance on has a name - hypocrisy.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@hytiteto wrote:

Two invoices =  two payments = two parcels

Paypal rules = two separate payments = two separate proof of post evidence  

IMO, two separate payments for goods sent in one parcel, not sent in accordance with paypal policy = possible partial refund - potentially achieveable by just opening a paypal dispute - and getting more appropriate seller response.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Good luck with that.

As I mentioned, OP has admitted receipt of all items. An INR would be fraud, which you seem to be advocating.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply