Unpaid items

How is it that a seller can refund the purchase price then mark the item as 'unpaid'?

This is how petty minded sellers can negate a buyer's account just because they decide to NOT honour a sale that the buyer just bought and paid for.

The seller can also claim to have no stock yet they merely just wanted to increase the price.

Ebay allows this with total disregard for the laws of our country..

Buyers beware, having an excellent buyer rating, paying for every single purchase and having 100% positive feedback, is of NO VALUE when dealing with ebay 'customer service', irrespective of their opening words thanking you for your 13 years as a buyer..

In practice ebay actually prefers dodgy sellers over good customers, at least that's what i've learnt over the past 2 months trying to resolve an issue, that remains unresolved.

We NEED the ability to block dodgy sellers from appearing in our search results.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Unpaid items

"You blame the sellers for a courier" ? huh?

I don't blame a seller for what a courier does, however when a seller lists one thing in their listing then sends the purchase via a different method, then the seller gets the blame because they acted contrary to the listing details..

Potential buyers should have the opportunity to be made aware that a particular seller has the potential for doing other than what they claim within their listing.

It is not always obvious that a seller who states that their items are within Australia and their profile also states as Australian, are in fact Chinese.. oddly enough there are less problems buying directly out of China than there are buying from within Australia.

I don't live in a big city and living on a relatively small island does have its restrictions as to what is available locally.

Have you ever considered that some people buy online because of restrictions to their own mobility or income?

I do agree that your points do have some validity.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

If I still had my seller account, I would block you too.  You appear to be too needy. Why would sellers risk your incredible feedback left for them.   As has been said, maybe Ebay is not the place for you to shop.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

I think you will find yourself on many, many blocked lists after looking at your feedback. It's horrifying.

Giving neutrals when an issue is resolved just seems overly petty on your part.

I always look at a buyers feedback and if I see too many red dots given out, then then to me the buyer is already going to be problematic and I will cancel. I don't care if the buyer gets upset - I'm just not going to take the risk.  When sellers cancel, they get a number of different options to chose from as for their reason for cancelling. It really doesn't matter what reason they use, even if it doesn't correspond with the situation. One of their reasons is that the "buyer asked to cancel". You have left many red dots and neutrals for sellers who are doing this, but the reality is that they are simply cancelling on you because they see your feedback. It becomes a vicious circle for the buyer.

Ebay cannot force a seller to sell to you, so there is nothing to contact Ebay about. Sellers have the absolute right to withhold their items and not deal with you.

Having 100% feedback as a buyer is irrelevant as buyers have only been able to get positives for 10+ years now. What matters is the feedback that YOU leave for others.

Also - you mentioned that buyers have to go out of their way to return items. If an item is incorrect or defective, the seller MUST provide a label or postage funds upfront if they want the item back (depending on where they are registered). You should never be out of pocket unless you change your mind about a purchase.

You are purchasing a lot from Chinese registered sellers, so you should adjust your expectations accordingly and anticipate lower quality items as well as items that are not even suitable for Australian standards. There are even sellers who are Aus registered, but drop shipping cheap junk from China.

If you live remotely and/or have mobility issues, it would be far better for you to purchase online from reputable Aus stores who will provide good quality items that have a warranty (which your Ebay purchases don't have). It might cost a bit more, but will save you having such poor experiences and the hassle that comes with getting inferior or unsuitable items. 

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

Sorry to say, but judging by some of the frivolous negative feedback you leave for sellers, it is hardly surprising that some of them use any excuse to avoid selling to you.

A case in point:

"this was advertised as a 20cm sieve when it is in fact a 19cm version, not impressed"

All the same, you are entitled to claim an Item Not as Described when it is warranted. 

If you do intend to continue to purchase items on ebay, I strongly suggest that you spend time vetting the sellers carefully. Time well spent if you wish to avoid being disappointed with your purchase. 

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

err, a positive outcome is when the item is received and there are no issues, such occasions earn positive feedback.

Why on earth would anyone leave positive feedback when they did not receive their purchase but merely a refund?

Certainly positive feedback is due when the reason for a non-arrival of purchase is the result of a third party failing, but when a seller doesn't even bother to honour a sale then merely supplying a refund merely elevates the experience from being totally negative. 

To leave anything other than feedback that matches the experience, just makes feedback worthless..

Surely earning positive feedback is what a seller should be seeking to do

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Needy? That's a strange way to put it, I just expect the items to be what they are described to be and for the listing details to be correct, even when there are problems (honest mistakes DO happen) if a seller has the decency to act appropriately, that seller can still earn positive feedback even when I don't get the item, it seems to me that too many sellers forget that they are responsible for the content of their listings and/or are disrespectful of consumer rights, are things different in your world?

Your comment suggests that you would 'punish' buyers who leave honest feedback..

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

details matter when deciding upon what to buy.

There are standards, official and otherwise.

That sieve you mentioned, well all the other laboratory sieves I have ARE 20 cm so when I sought to buy another component to use with the same, yes it does matter that a 19cm version was supplied, it doesn't fit the others thus making it a useless item without buying more 19cm items.

That which was purchased is intended to have a sieve fit onto it, they didn't because the claimed size was wrong, it was too small.

I suppose if you bought an item to fit your car and was supplied a different part for an obviously different model, would you just accept it and say thanks here's positive feedback, there's no difference in the principle, 19cm is NOT 20cm, especially when the component is intended to fit together with other components.

Yet you claim this is frivolous.. No, I read the description prior to purchase so as to ensure I was buying something suitable for my needs, unfortunately some things are only available on ebay.

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

@manickmechanic wrote:

To leave anything other than feedback that matches the experience, just makes feedback worthless..

Surely earning positive feedback is what a seller should be seeking to do

In the spirit of wanting to be helpful rather than lambast you, and without in the slightest wanting to reward very bad sellers with glowing feedback, I will point out one thing that is heavily ironic: buyers can only receive positive feedback.

Only.

Even if they broke the item, claimed INR, received full refund, sent back fake instead of original... Even if they bombarded the seller with threatening messages... No matter how badly a buyer behaves, sellers can only ever give them positive feedback. Feedback on eBay, in terms of a buyer's integrity or politeness or even just simply paying for items, is "worthless".

I thought at the time, when the feedback policy changed, that it was unfair to good sellers and a bit of a free ride for buyers. It's certainly given some buyers a sense of untouchability... but on the other hand, sellers do now have the ability to open NPDs, as a result of which non-paying buyers will at least be issued with a non-payment strike. Anyway, that's by the way.

Feedback for sellers is still a worthwhile measure, although I have always been in two minds about it. Some buyers have what I consider is a lead foot on the feedback pedal. They give red dots almost indiscriminately, or at the very least without due consideration or a sense of perspective. Yet it's important for buyers to be able to make buying judgements when looking at a seller's feedback.

I do look at a seller's feedback. However, some negatives given to a seller will actually make me more inclined to buy from them, if I gauge that the buyer is being unfair. If I see a consistent issue or series of issues (by clicking onto the seller's negatives over a 12-month period), that gives me a context... and very quickly highlights something that pops up too frequently to be a coincidence.

Looking at the feedback that you've given, manickmechanic, I really do feel that you have a lead foot on that feedback pedal. I think you are too quick to give a negative, and I don't think you're always being wise in your buying. You will probably reject my suggestion that you save negatives for sellers whose behaviour is egregious and where you didn't get a resolution... but as you can see if you look at the feedback I've given, I'm sparing in my negs.

Another suggestion from me... Think of 99.5% as good, but anything below that, regard with caution. I mean... in relation to high volume sellers. The way in which that percentage score is calculated is not like getting, for example, 98% in a Latin exam - a result with which anyone would be entirely satisfied. And... click onto the seller's negatives over 12 months in their feedback profile, to zero in on whether the negatives convey a clear warning.

You may want to ignore this, but I think you've put yourself into an unenviable position by posting here in a way that invites feedback on your feedback, so to speak. There are many sellers who read these boards without necessarily posting. Many of these are going to be disinclined to have you purchase from them, based on the perceived lead-foot situation. If you want to continue to buy on eBay rather than running into more seller blocks than there are bristles on a hedgehog, your feedback behaviour needs to reflect something new.

I've been blunt - but sugar-coating it won't be of any use to you. I hope you have better experiences, and I think it will start with your choosing better sellers, having realistic expectations, and taking your foot off the pedal.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

@manickmechanic wrote:

details matter when deciding upon what to buy.

China

There are standards, official and otherwise.

China

That sieve you mentioned, well all the other laboratory sieves I have ARE 20 cm so when I sought to buy another component to use with the same, yes it does matter that a 19cm version was supplied, it doesn't fit the others thus making it a useless item without buying more 19cm items.

China

That which was purchased is intended to have a sieve fit onto it, they didn't because the claimed size was wrong, it was too small.

China

I suppose if you bought an item to fit your car and was supplied a different part for an obviously different model, would you just accept it and say thanks here's positive feedback, there's no difference in the principle, 19cm is NOT 20cm, especially when the component is intended to fit together with other components.

China

Yet you claim this is frivolous.. No, I read the description prior to purchase so as to ensure I was buying something suitable for my needs, unfortunately some things are only available on ebay.

No they are not - geez.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

My apologies.

When I read the word sieve, I assumed it referred to a kitchen sieve, hence I thought the 1cm difference as being very minor. 

For myself, I make a lot of purchases from China, and the few times the item is not up to scratch, the situation has always been easily resolved with the seller without needing to resort to any NAD claims or leave negative feedback.

The key is to have confidence in your seller after doing some basic research. 

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply