Unpaid items

How is it that a seller can refund the purchase price then mark the item as 'unpaid'?

This is how petty minded sellers can negate a buyer's account just because they decide to NOT honour a sale that the buyer just bought and paid for.

The seller can also claim to have no stock yet they merely just wanted to increase the price.

Ebay allows this with total disregard for the laws of our country..

Buyers beware, having an excellent buyer rating, paying for every single purchase and having 100% positive feedback, is of NO VALUE when dealing with ebay 'customer service', irrespective of their opening words thanking you for your 13 years as a buyer..

In practice ebay actually prefers dodgy sellers over good customers, at least that's what i've learnt over the past 2 months trying to resolve an issue, that remains unresolved.

We NEED the ability to block dodgy sellers from appearing in our search results.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Unpaid items

I think (from memory, but this has not happened to me in quite a while) that soon after an item is refunded eBay (not the seller) automatically marks the item as unpaid, but after a while it should go and it has no repercussions on your account.

Maybe others who had a more recent experience can chime in.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

@manickmechanic wrote:

How is it that a seller can refund the purchase price then mark the item as 'unpaid'?

Well, after you getting a refund of course the item is unpaid.  If the seller uses the reason "out of stock" then they will get a strike against their DSR's.

Looking at your feedback left for sellers, maybe you should rethink using eBay at all. You don't appear to be having much luck (?) with the platform.

Edit. G'day Papermoon.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

You are correct that having 100% as a buyer has no value

eBay only allows buyers to have 100% since buyers can only be given positive green ticks

Did this seller open an unpaid item dispute against you?

If they marked something as out of stock, they get a defect on their account

eBay is all about the buyer

Unless the seller is in China, then a different story

And any emails 'thanking' a buyer are bot generated, as are all eBay emails to anyone and everyone 

What issue is it that you have had, where you have used the appropriate dispute and the tools you are given that remains unsolved?

eBay do not read here

If you would like members to try to assist you, then you need to tell us what the issue is

Then again, given the amount of issues you have had, mainly from choosing to buy from sellers whose feedback scream "run a mile" then you can hardly complain when you are choosing to help them stay in business 

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

Like with most things, there tend to be issues, with ebay I've learnt over that 13 years that about 75% of purchases occur without any hiccup.

Ebay is definitely biased towards the seller, such as if a seller sends the wrong item it is the buyer who is expected to go out of their way to return the item, whereas it should be entirely the seller to accept responsibility for their own failing (or intent)..

But you are right, I have reconsidered using ebay, I've stopped buying, ebay clearly does NOT value good buyers.

However you're wrong regarding unpaid, receiving a refund is PROOF that the item was paid for, marking the item as unpaid AND falsely claiming that they buyer asked to cancel is just how ebay allows pathetic sellers to act.. there is no system in place to accurately reflect what actually occurs, ebay prefers dodgy sellers to good buying behaviour..

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

It doesn't happen with every refund, it only seems to happen when the seller acts contrary to ebay policy.

I've also recently discovered 15 sellers I've no prior custom with, who have blocked me yet my account does not meet the criteria that would enable them to do so..

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

@manickmechanic wrote:

.......AND falsely claiming that they buyer asked to cancel is just how ebay allows pathetic sellers to act.. there is no system in place to accurately reflect what actually occurs, ebay prefers dodgy sellers to good buying behaviour..

Yes there is, go to the link below and report the seller for claiming you asked for the cancellation.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

If it was as simple as the sellers having poor feedback, when a seller has a feedback rating in the high 90s, something like 97.2% positive or some such, then one would expect that the seller can't be too bad..

Contacting ebay just earns me a 'runaround', when a seller falsely claims I requested cancellation or marks the item as unpaid or falsely claims 'out o stock', ebay does NOTHING to correct it or at least it appears that way.

Reporting sellers also appears to have no effect, even for those proven to be selling illegal/unlawful items, ebay just continues to allow them to sell the same stuff.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

having done so many times, using the option from following that link, has resulted in nothing as far as I can tell.

I have even reported sellers for selling illegal items AND provided the proof of the items not being legal, yet those sellers continue to sell the same products still.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Unpaid items

@macnickmechanic,

Any seller can block you for any reason they wish. That is their right, just as it would be the right of a shop owner to ask you to leave their premises.

What criteria did you think would be required?

A possible reason for sellers blocking you would be that they have seen the feedback you leave for others, from which they conclude that you may be a problematic buyer with whom they would prefer not to deal. That's simple risk mitigation.

You buy quite a bit from Chinese sellers, then complain about the entirely expected issues. The feedback you give other sellers gives the impression of being holier-than-thou, and even when you give positive feedback, the comments are sometimes begrudging. You blame the sellers for a courier; you blame the sellers for the eBay process if a refund is issued; you blame anyone but yourself for your poor buying choices. (And your choices have indeed been poor. Sometimes you headed back to the same seller to purchase even though you've previously lambasted the seller. You buy items not meeting Australian Safety Standards and certainly not having the regulatory compliance mark, and then castigate the seller for your own purchase.

If you wanted better buying experiences, the choice starts with you. Choose sellers who are not selling at prices from the dumpster; choose sellers who are Australian business... and for goodness' sake avoid sellers with feedback percentage of less than 99.5% for the most part.

Or... just buy from retail shops. Heaven knows local shops can do with the custom.

CONFLICT OF INTEREST: None. I am a buyer only.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply