Update on yesterday’s message about changing your password

We’re reaching out to our millions of customers by email but it will take some time to contact everyone. Meanwhile, remember that you can go to eBay.com.au and change your password.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

LOL - I just had to go and check!

No, that message wasn't there. I do however have one that says something like "Confirmation of Password" but it is telling me I recently changed my password (no kidding, right? They think my memory is that short? LOLOL). No links etc whereas the one in my email required me to click on links

Spoiler
just kidding I know its to alert me in case I didn't change my password - ie meaning someone else accessed my PC - but then if that was the case - how would I have gotten in to read it anyway?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 21 of 50
Latest reply

Come on crikey, you expect far too much from ebay admin, methinks. 🙂
Message 22 of 50
Latest reply

Well, I used to have expectations.

but that Comedy Routine was only funny the first few times....

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 23 of 50
Latest reply

@trusteduserid wrote:

eBay did not send me a link and it seems weird that you got one. Personally I would NEVER trust an email from ''eBay'' that contains a link.

I did however get an email telling me to update my password.

When I clicked on the option to update my password I was given the option to either have a text message sent to my phone, a phone call or an email

I am internet savvy and know scam emails when I see them, and seeing as this email arrived within a minute of me selecting the email option PLUS the fact that it addressed me by my full name as well as my user name I knew it was not fake.

Plus many other people have selected the email option rather than SMS/text message as it's been discussed on other threads as to how long people have waited for those emails.

I've attached a picture of the email sent to me for resetting my password. (with identifying details removed such as my full name, email address etc).

a.jpg

Plus I also received a message in My Ebay messages advising my password had been reset, that arrived after clicking on the link and doing what was instructed.

Scam emails do not appear in My Ebay messages.

An actual email from ebay informing me about the hacking and suggesting I reset my password arrived this morning.

2 days AFTER I'd already done so.

A bit slow off the mark, but considering the number of ebay members world wide I would assume that was the case.

Addit: the email sent from ebay with the link to complete my resetting of password did NOT appear in My Ebay messages, only the email confirming that I'd changed it successfully.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 24 of 50
Latest reply

I was lucky. Working on London time, I saw in their press an article about this. So was able to change my password straight away, no fuss. No need for email confirmations, SMSs or anything else, the way CQ has mentioned (Account, personal information).

no sign of the email advising the change, in eBay messages.

over the years, I think about 50% of legitimate emails from eBay have not also been sent to the messages inbox.

making it even harder to determine what is real and what isn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 25 of 50
Latest reply

Quite right, amber. What should happen and what does happen are frequently poles apart on eBay. I manually changed my password a few days ago, yet a couple of days later I still received an email with a link, asking me to change my password, and it didn't appear in my eBay messages inbox either. However, my confirmation message did. Go figure.
Message 26 of 50
Latest reply

starls
Community Member

I would love to change my Pass word but I have been with Ebay since 2000 and no longer have the email as it close. So haow can I go into the Ebay system and change to my new email address without having to put my old address into the space.

Starls

@joanna_oz wrote:

We’re reaching out to our millions of customers by email but it will take some time to contact everyone. Meanwhile, remember that you can go to eBay.com.au and change your password.

Message 27 of 50
Latest reply

Try clicking on the update password link, then request an SMS, if you have the same number.

or try MyeBay, open it, then the Account tab on the left, then personal information, then password has an edit to click on, on the right.

so that is two different ways, hope one works for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 28 of 50
Latest reply

Just go to your account > Personal information > Then  Under Email and Contact information click on Edit at the

end of the Registered email address line.

You can change anything else you need to whilst you are there,good.gif

Message 29 of 50
Latest reply

Yes, all that I had to do also. I was just highlighting the fact that eBay did not send me a link to change my password until I requested one.

The message I got was a reminder to change my password, with no link attached.

Message 30 of 50
Latest reply