Using the cart resulted in buying items twice!

Tonight I bought some items and wanted combined postage. Combined postage is offered by the seller and I sent a message to confirm this and the cost.

I added the two items to my cart and clicked "request total from seller" where I was met with "this seller does not offer combined postage discounts". I thought this was odd, because I had just confirmed they do. So I tried simply checking out. This method was going to charge me postage for a single item x 2 (2 x $9.50) instead of their very good $9.50 for first item, $1 each additional.

Whatever I tried I was met with double the postage cost or "this seller does not offer combined postage discounts" and could proceed no further. Without receiving any confirmation of committing to the items, I have at last received an invoice from the seller with two of each item instead of just the one of each that I want, however, postage has been combined!

Am I now obliged to pay for two of each item as I "committed to buy" them although received no chance to confirm this and was met only with no correct automation? The seller seems very reasonable and I hope will understand (after all, my initial enquiry about combined postage was for 2 items, not 4). I have looked and cannot seem to cancel one of each item now that they have been invoiced and committed to.

This is the first time I have used the cart and it has proved problematic, counterproductive, unclear and unhelpful. I will not use it again unless its usage becomes smooth and user-friendly.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

firstly, the cart problem has been ongoing for some time with a lot of people having issues trying to combine postage for multiple items. 

if i was in your position, i'd message the seller ASAP and ask them to cancel either the second item or both items and explain the situation and see what they have to say. requesting to cancel the transaction ASAP seems to be the best way to go - even though i personally don't agree with it as a seller, i've had buyers do it to me and i've tried to stick to my guns.

ebay has ultimately told me because they contacted me immediately, i had to cancel the transaction. part of that was my fault though, because i didn't specify no "change of mind" returns in my return policy. 

needless to say, most reasonable sellers will be happy to cancel a transaction before they have posted it or packaged it, because there's really nothing lost - they'll get the final value fee back and it's an easy process. 

you just need to then work out with the seller and/or ebay how to purchase the two items and get the appropriate combined postage discount 🙂 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I had an incident like this also. It was because the Seller had asked for "Instant Payment" and apparently the combined postage option is not available with instant payment.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

They'll probably have to cancel the whole thing because you can't cancel just one if you bought two of something and only want one. If both items were the same price they may be able to cancel two of the same item and leave two of the other item, but make sure they understand you want them to actually send one of each. Otherwise you'll just have to get them to cancel the whole thing and buy again.
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply