Warranty

sp.i-83
Community Member

I’m relatively new to eBay. I purchased an item (a Dyson replacement battery) that advertised 5 year warranty. After 2 years or so there is a problem but I cannot get a reply from the seller.

Any  advice on my options would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Warranty

There is no warranty unless the seller is an authorised seller/re-seller and registered in Australia 

If does'nt matter 'what the ad said' otherwise 

Was it actually a Dyson battery or a 'for Dyson' unbranded thing?

You won't get a reply from the seller after over two years

If you bought a real Dyson from a seller authorised to sell them, you could try contacting Dyson

And you joined eBay in 2019, so nowhere near new with not enough time to read buying basics 

Most of the sellers you have chosen are in China with terrible feedback (so not a chance of a warranty )

And one in Oz with appalling feedback 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Warranty

Even if you have a valid manufacturers warranty,  they are difficult to claim, as  there are so many reasons a battery can fail that are not covered.  Faulty power supply (surges),  incorrect charging, extreme heat/cold

incorrect storage etc.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Warranty

No need to be nasty, I asked a fairly simple question, in the main the products I have purchased have been straightforward and I have been content to accept a product for what it is. In this case I thought there may be an avenue I hadn’t explored, I will be aware next time.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Warranty

eBay do not provide a warranty service. You have 30 days from receipt to make any sort of claim on eBay, 6 months through Paypal, maybe 12 months (unlikely) through your bank. In answer to your question, you have no recourse.

Did you pay close to what Dyson would charge, or did you get a 'bargain'? Therein would lie the issue. And where you bought from, of course.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Warranty

was it an authentic battery bought from a supplier in Australia or a copy from Asia?

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Warranty

Copy - just to clarify the battery (power) still works but the switch within the battery is either stuck or failed. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Warranty

Thanks for that, yes it was a bargain! We live and learn.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Warranty

You've got no hope.

Sellers on ebay can write any length of warranty they like in their ads.

Trying to make a claim is another thing, as you have found.

It is not enforceable.

If an item is a whole lot cheaper than you'd pay for the real thing in store, it could well be a fake from China.

You have to toss up if it is worth it, to pay maybe half the price & knowing there is no guarantee on quality, safety or how long it will last, or paying normal price from a reputable seller and  getting the real warranty.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply