What do I do if item I bought as new is actually very used when I got it?

solomonseal
Community Member

I bought an item as a gift for a friend and it was advertised as Brand New, however when I received it it was actually clearly very used and unsuitable as a gift. I contacted the seller and said I was happy to keep the item for myself but wanted a partial refund. She said "accidents happen" and she must have acidentally listed it as new and to send it back for a refund. What should I do?

Thanks for any advice:)

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

If you are happy to keep it and get a partial refund do that. If the partial refund does not arrive I would then log an item not as described with PayPal to try and get some refund.

I would also (once partial refund recieved) leave neutral and mark down their stars on item description.

Cathy
Message 2 of 58
Latest reply

Wow Cathy, you are truly a very nice person.... I would report them, get all my money back and give them the worst feedback I could, simply because the item is not what you expected.

It was VERY used. This means they are running a scam and hoping to catch the unsuspecting.

Message 3 of 58
Latest reply

Yes I am a nice person.

The feedback would all depend on how accommodating the seller is with refund etc.

I don't like giving negs but if the seller did not give any partial or full refund and not communicate at all I would be tempted to give a neg.

Cathy
Message 4 of 58
Latest reply

Cathy,

The seller has communicated. They have asked the buyer to send it back for a refund.

However the buyer wants to keep it and has asked for a partial refund so the buyer is not sure what to do.

Message 5 of 58
Latest reply

The seller is hardly accommodating if they do not wish to offer partial refund.  They deserve NEG.  But I would ask again if they would not consider partial refund.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 6 of 58
Latest reply

I think the seller has every right to ask for the item to be returned and then issue a refund.

The buyer is stating the item is not up to standard but wants to keep it and is expecting a partial refund.

Well let the buyer open a Paypal dispute and lets see Paypal insist on the seller giving a partial refund and the buyer keep the item. It won't happen.

In a Paypal dispute the seller only has to offer a full refund and Paypal will tell the buyer to return the item to get the refund.

The seller might be aware that some buyers try to rort sellers by insisting on a partial refund and keeping the item therefore the seller might be erring on the side of caution.

Message 7 of 58
Latest reply

I am very surprised that 3 posters have supported the idea that the buyer has the right to insist on a partial refund.

This is not correct.

The seller has done everything correctly by offering a refund on return of the item.

At no point, never, ever has the seller been under any obligation to offer a partial refund and let the buyer keep the item therefore the suggestion that they should be negged for refusing a partial refund is a very flawed suggestion.

Why tell the OP to go about all this in the wrong way?

Message 8 of 58
Latest reply

I have to agree with bump, Sorry, but any buyer could claim anything, unless the item is returned how can it be determined it was faulty/used/or not? Sorry, I'd go the dispute channel. Maybe a buyer may want a 'bargain' for what has been received, how could any on eknow for sure?

Please don't take offence to this OP, I am sure you are 100% genuine, :-x but I can see where the seller is coming from, they are not to know this is not just a con for a better deal

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 9 of 58
Latest reply

A seller CAN offer a partial refund if they choose-the option is right next to the transaction in Paypal.

Message 10 of 58
Latest reply